• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breed your own waxworms (1 Viewer)

Anthony Morton

The following hassle-free tip for DIY waxworm breeding appears in the current issue of Cage & Aviary Birds and was sent in by David Wardell of Yorkshire.

' Contact your local beekeepers' association and ask them for names of the nearest beekeepers, as in the next few weeks beekeepers will be cleaning hives and sorting out old frames of comb which have been in use for the last couple of years.

'The wax-comb is usually melted down, collected and part-exchanged for new comb foundation.

'The old comb can be bought for a modest amount, or might even be given to you. The comb will be in reasonably sized pieces of wax, which should be put into a black bin liner which has had a few holes cut into the sides to allow the entry of the wax moth.

'It may be that the moth has already taken up residence in larvae form, in which case, so much the better.

'The bag should be left outside in a shed, and inspected after a few weeks to see if the moths are in residence.

'We have two species of wax moth, a greater wax moth (Galleria mellonella) and the lesser wax moth (Achroia grisella). Both can be found within the same comb and used to feed your birds.

'When the moths have taken over, place all the comb into a large box or old fish tank. This can be left in a dry place and the larvae can be taken out when required, or throw large bits of comb onto the ground for the birds to pick over. This way you will have wax moths breeding free food all the year round.'

Well worth a try in my opinion - especially as there's little expense and even less effort required!

tarves57 said:
Very interesting subject! What does a wax moth look like? Would we have them up here in Scotland?

Susan

Hi Susan,

Two very good questions - but I'm afraid I can't answer either of them!

Can only suggest contacting the Bee Keepers Association in your area for advice.

Susan - if you are really keen to breed waxworms, you could buy some and work your way through the whole breeding cycle!!! :eek!

However mealworms sound much easier to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back