• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Brilliant Emerald? (1 Viewer)

kevtubb

I went to Esher Pond on 22nd June. I photographed what I am pretty sure is a male Brilliant Emerald and also videod a female which I have taken a video grab.

Photographs attached to this thread.

Can someone please confirm that it is indeed a Brilliant Emerald

Attachments

• BrilliantEmerald-aab.jpg
    BrilliantEmerald-aab.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BrilliantEmerald-aac.jpg
    BrilliantEmerald-aac.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DragonGrab-aaa.jpg
    DragonGrab-aaa.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 42

Heathy

They look quite good for Brilliant Emerald to me, all showing the 'yellow' frons I would expect to see on this species.

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Anyone any other opinions or pointers here? I'm no longer confident at using the yellow frons as a character for Brilliant, after seeing what can only be Downies at their site in Avon. They sometimes appeared to have a bright yellow frons when the sun hit that bit.

Farnboro John

The photos all look good for Brilliant to me. The yellow is in the right place - sides and across the middle of the frons. The shape is fine. See below:

Downy Emerald
Brilliant Emerald

Attachments

• 2014_05_19 (6)_Downy_Emerald (800x533).jpg
    2014_05_19 (6)_Downy_Emerald (800x533).jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 2014_06_08 (2)_Brilliant_Emerald (800x533).jpg
    2014_06_08 (2)_Brilliant_Emerald (800x533).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 43
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread