• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Britain and Europe Orchid Book (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Hi all,

I'm just getting into Orchids and would like some advice on what book/s to buy on the identification and occurrences of them in Britain mainly, but also Europe.

I live in East Yorkshire and would love to know of any sites in the area that are good for Orchids. Have only seen Common Spotted, Heath Spotted and Pyramidal Orchids so far near home but would love to see other species. Sites around Norfolk are also of interest as I visit there quite often and am actually there next week (although I realise most will now be over).

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I'm just getting into Orchids and would like some advice on what book/s to buy on the identification and occurrences of them in Britain mainly, but also Europe.

I live in East Yorkshire and would love to know of any sites in the area that are good for Orchids. Have only seen Common Spotted, Heath Spotted and Pyramidal Orchids so far near home but would love to see other species. Sites around Norfolk are also of interest as I visit there quite often and am actually there next week (although I realise most will now be over).

Thanks in advance

Hi, I think this book would fit into what you're looking for-
Orchids of Britain and Ireland and it also has a site guide in the back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orchids-Bri...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249055892&sr=1-5

Robert

Harrap & Harrap is the best UK guide on the market.

For the rest of Europe, there are a couple:

Buttler, K P; Crowood Press: ISBN 1-85223-591-8 is the one I use most. It has the best balance of splitting and lumping for me, though a little out of date.

Nicely painted plates and a simple taxonomic approach, try Williams/Williams/Arlott, Collins: ISBN 0-00-219314-0

Another excellent guide, which I don't have, is the one by Paul Davies from about 1984.

The latest Delforge is pretty comprehensive but a nightmare for the beginner as it has multiple contentious splits and is very confusing.

As with birds, though, you will need more than one book and a decent amount of experience before it all starts to click into place!!

Sean

Thank you both very much for the recommendations. I have bought the Harrap guide today. Most impressed. may invest in one of the others at some point but will start off with this one first.

Am still interested in any sites in and around East Yorkshire if anyone has any suggestions. The aforementioned book mentions Skipwith Common, Wharram Quarry and Flamborough Head, so any other site suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi rachk

Of course you are too late this year now, so will have to start again next year.

If you wish to extend your searches to North & West Yorks or even further north to Teesside then there may be more to look for...

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back