• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Britain's Birds (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Forthcoming (May 2016)...

Hume, Still, Swash, Harrop & Tipling. Britain’s Birds: An Identification Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland. PUP.

Sounds good value: all B&I species, 2,700+ colour photos, leading photographers...

The stats suggest something along the lines of the similarly sized "Stokes Field Guide to the birds of North America" unless they take the Crossley route and do photo montage (which should allow larger imagery. Both are nice guides, but not a patch on a 'proper' arty field guide. Either way the authors will do very well to shoehorn in everything they promise. It'll certainly be interesting!

Thanks Nicola for highlighting that it's available for a 'Look Inside'.

I must confess that, despite not being a great fan of photo guides, this one looks very impressive indeed and is clearly head-and-shoulders above any rival guides. I'm particularly pleased that they've opted to use a functional 'field guide order' rather than the latest tortuous (in terms of practicality) taxonomic order. Very well thought through and designed and packed with useful info. I'm a little surprised in some ways that they didn't opt for "Birds of Europe" guide (sans extreme rarities) which might have been more easily converted into French, Dutch, German, etc editions which surely would have made more economic sense.

An interesting discussion on the creation of the book along with a review by Andy Stoddart (with a couple of sample pages) can be found at http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/book_review_Britains_Birds.aspx?s_id=1066518534 The only thing that surprises me about this book is that its on British rather than European birds - I'd have thought having the capacity to flog the photos/format abroad with little change could have been very advantageous

Last edited:
An interesting discussion on the creation of the book along with a review by Andy Stoddart (with a couple of sample pages) can be found at http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/book_review_Britains_Birds.aspx?s_id=1066518534 The only thing that surprises me about this book is that its on British rather than European birds - I'd have thought having the capacity to flog the photos/format abroad with little change could have been very advantageous

It is a little crowded already, and extending it to cover ALL the birds of Europe would make it quite a lot bigger.

Well pleased with it by the way. A snip at £13.95.

Steve

It is a little crowded already, and extending it to cover ALL the birds of Europe would make it quite a lot bigger.

Well pleased with it by the way. A snip at £13.95.

Steve

I agree that to cover all European birds probably wouldn't be possible. However, a guide covering all regular European species (c500) would clearly be possible - you could even chuck in a few irregular species - as the current guide covers 600 species.

I got an email today from 'Wildsounds' apologising for the delay in dispatching a copy of the book due to "demand exceeding supply". I think WildGuides may have a 'hit' on their hands!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back