• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

British Butterfly Decline (1 Viewer)

aeshna5

I think the headline is very misleading though the report does kind of admit that. I saw more Peacocks here in the spring than for many years & there was a good emergence of the next brood in July. These latter butterflies usually disappear quite quickly & go into diapause earlier than many think having fed up, so I suspect when the count took place (something like a 3 week period?) many were already out of sight.

British Wildlife reported many species having a bumper year. Also the BB Count this year was restricted to a number of common, easily identified species. I would say migrant species such as Painted Lady have been few but these are due to factors beyond our shores &the numbers vary many fold from year to year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the alarmist headline.

Users who are viewing this thread