• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broken Swarovski EL 10 x 42 strap - advice sought? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I purchased a new pair of these super binoculars in July 2020 but yesterday whilst sea-watching the strap mechanism failed (oh for old-style straps rather than press-stud gimmicks!!). It just dropped out on one side but I cannot see any damage, and it goes back in easily enough but then just drops out again. Please see photo. Nothing 'looks' broken. Thankfully I caught the actual binoculars as they were heading to a concrete floor!

My question is, if something is broken in the actual strap end I can order a new strap, but if its in the main binocular-body part I willhave to send them in for repair which is a huge inconvenience. Has anyone else ever experienced a failure with the strap mechnism?

Apprecite any help. I realise you cannot actually diagnose this by looking at the photo I attach but you will understand where the problem lies at least.
Is there a UK-based Swarovski service centre?
broken strap.jpg

I purchased a new pair of these super binoculars in July 2020 but yesterday whilst sea-watching the strap mechanism failed (oh for old-style straps rather than press-stud gimmicks!!). It just dropped out on one side but I cannot see any damage, and it goes back in easily enough but then just drops out again. Please see photo. Nothing 'looks' broken. Thankfully I caught the actual binoculars as they were heading to a concrete floor!
1. Did you follow the manual's instructions on locking the attachment pin? It is not enough to push it in, you have to press the pin in (the textured top) and rotate the surrounding smooth part (which holds the strap/cord) until it locks. Once locked it will not come out unless you again push in the pin and rotate the surrounding part in the opposite direction.

2. If you have managed to lock the pin in, but it unlocks and comes loose by itself, perhaps there is something broken inside the body of the binocular. If there is a dealer near you, pay them a visit, they should be able to confirm the problem. If there is no dealer nearby, contact Swarovski and arrange a repair.

1. Did you follow the manual's instructions on locking the attachment pin? It is not enough to push it in, you have to press the pin in (the textured top) and rotate the surrounding smooth part (which holds the strap/cord) until it locks. Once locked it will not come out unless you again push in the pin and rotate the surrounding part in the opposite direction.

2. If you have managed to lock the pin in, but it unlocks and comes loose by itself, perhaps there is something broken inside the body of the binocular. If there is a dealer near you, pay them a visit, they should be able to confirm the problem. If there is no dealer nearby, contact Swarovski and arrange a repair.
Cheers BKoh,

Yes tried that, it still comes out, I can't even unlock the other side. I guess they are designed simply to be pushed in and locked once during its lifetime.

I think something must be broken. I just find it frustrating. Expect solid and expensive binoculars to be sturdy.

Cheers BKoh,

Yes tried that, it still comes out, I can't even unlock the other side. I guess they are designed simply to be pushed in and locked once during its lifetime.

I think something must be broken. I just find it frustrating. Expect solid and expensive binoculars to be sturdy.
The FieldPro system is definitely not meant to be a permanent "use-once" system, it is a proprietary quick-release system to allow you to easily change the attachment method e.g. neck strap to chest harness etc. If you cannot unlock the other side, it's possible that it, too, is also not attached correctly and is somehow damaged as well.

Ideally, bring it to a dealer so they can look at it and also show you how a normal unit should work. Else, contact Swarovski. The binoculars are too valuable to continue using on a damaged strap system.

the fact that you haven't been able to operate the intact side does raise the concern that you aren't doing it right... ("PEBAK" or "PEBCAB" in this case...?). Not meant to be disparaging, it's just that some here have commented that it took them a minute to figure it out and maybe you need to take that minute to be sure it's broken by learning how to operate the mechanism. Personally, I think the mechanism is pretty nice and easy to use, and I swap between straps and harness easily using it. Here's a video describing how to use it, for your future reference if nothing else…

Good luck.

[edit - I swapped the video for one with audible explanation]

Last edited:
Thanks both, I really appreciate the time you have taken to help.
I will have a look at the video later and let you know how I get on.

EDIT -it seems to have worked, what that means is I was obviously doing something wrong. Eventually after around 20 minutes of fiddling around it has clicked into place and stayed there and will not come back out. Thank you both once again.

Last edited:
Thanks both, I really appreciate the time you have taken to help.
I will have a look at the video later and let you know how I get on.

EDIT -it seems to have worked, what that means is I was obviously doing something wrong. Eventually after around 20 minutes of fiddling around it has clicked into place and stayed there and will not come back out. Thank you both once again.
Glad it worked out for you. Do remember to check the other side too to make sure you can lock/unlock it properly.

The first time, it took a while for me to get the hang of it too. Even now it takes some fiddling, but it is still much faster than threading a strap through conventional lugs.

I use it on my NL pure very often to change between harness and neck strap. It works great. Is it not made to use it often? In the beginning it goes very strong. And now it works very fluid. Can I damage the system when I use it much?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back