• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown capped duck uk (1 Viewer)

chris w

I am in S.Devon and yesterday came across a medium size duck that has orange legs, a yellow bill, greyish body with a two tone brown head. Its distinctive marking is that it has a dark brown cap that runs from the top of the bill, through the eye line and then halfway down the neck where it it ends with a curve before going back up the other side if the head. The eyes are black and the rest of the head, excluding the cap is a lighter brown. It was on a freshwater lake which I walk around regularly.
I realise it is eclipse season but can't id it?any ideas?

A very good description but if you see it again, a photo would be preferable. It is almost certainly a domesticated Mallard as they come in so many different forms.

Hope this helps,
Louis

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back