• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Redpoll (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

Last Friday was the last round of our monthly winter bird count. After our respective assigned routes, we finish up at the Botanical Garden where we check out the feeder area and then head in to the cafe to warm up and report our numbers. At the feeder area a flock of Redpolls arrived, as per usual this time of year. This time, a couple of them did not look like our usual Common Redpolls, though. At least two of the birds were very brown with orangey-brown breasts, brown wing bars, and brown rather than off-white ear coverts. In Norwegian, Lesser Redpolls are called "Brunsisik" [Brown Redpolls], buuuut ... those should be noticeably smaller than the Commons, and these were pretty much the same size as their paler cousins - as you can see in photos 1 and 2, where one of the ordinary pale ones is posed in front. So ... we 8 avid birders, some of us (not me) even with ornithology degrees, were all uncertain. I did get pictures, so I agreed to submit them here to check. What say you, ID forum folks? Lessers, or hybrids, or just darker coloured Commons?

Attachments

• BDSC_0762 smaller (2).JPG
    BDSC_0762 smaller (2).JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 83
  • BDSC_0764 smaller (2).JPG
    BDSC_0764 smaller (2).JPG
    475.3 KB · Views: 66
  • BDSC_0804 smaller (2).JPG
    BDSC_0804 smaller (2).JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Given the large size, and brown flanks with heavy black streaking, have you considered rostrata?
In the UK we've several times recently had airflows originating down the eastern side of Greenland but I don't know about Trondheim.

Last edited:
Ahhh! That looks right! Hadn't thought of those. Given that we've had some strong westerly winds this winter, that could well be. Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back