• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bubo blakistoni doerriesi Seebohm, 1895 and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Bubo blakistoni doerriesi Seebohm, 1895 OD here
A second specimen had been procured by Mr. Doerries near Vladivostock,...
Bubo bubo doerriesi Buturlin, 1910 OD Nascha Okhota 1910 , Juni - Nummer , p . 78 (not seen)
Yungipicus canicapillus doerriesi (Hargitt, 1881) OD here
Herr Dörries of the Hamburg Zoological Gardens, has since sent me four specimens,....
Cerchneis tinnunculus dörriesi Swann, 1920 OD here
Dörries coll.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Blakiston's Fish Owl ssp. Bubo blakistoni doerriesi Seebohm, 1895
Eurasian Eagle Owl ssp. Bubo bubo doerriesi Buturlin, 1910 NCR [NPRB Bubo bubo ussuriensis]
Grey-capped (Pygmy) Woodpecker ssp. Dendrocopos canicapillus doerriesi Hargitt, 1881
Common Kestrel ssp. Falco tinnunculus doerriesi Swann‚ 1920 NCR [JS Falco tinnunculus tinnunculus]
Fritz Doerries (1851–1953) was a German lepidopterist, collector and explorer in Siberia. He normally collected with his brother.
The Key to Scientific Names
Friedrich Dörries (1852-1953) German collector, explorer in Siberia (subsp. Bubo blakistoni, syn. Bubo bubo ussuriensis, syn. Falco tinnunculus, subsp. Picoides canicapillus).

So several questions Fritz or Friedrich (assume Friedrich)? born 1851 or 1852 (assume 1852)? And if there was a brother can we be sure all are for Friedrich Carl Gustav Dörries. Especially if I read this sentence:

Dörries hatte die Brüder Henry Gustav D. (1861–1904) und Edmund D. (1865–1958), die als Präparatoren arbeiteten und teils gemeinsam mit Friedrich, teils alleine auf Forschungsreisen gingen.

Last edited:
Herr Dörries of the Hamburg Zoological Gardens

Is I assume the father Friedrich Nicolas Daniel Dörries (1822-1917). As Fredrich jnr was never at Hamburg Zoo but at Hagenbeck.

The Zoological Garden of Hamburg (German: Zoologischer Garten zu Hamburg) was a zoo in Hamburg, Germany that operated from 1863 until 1930 and is not Hagenbeck.

There is no other Fritz. On several passenger records Frederich is recorded as Fritz. Wikipedia is correct on dates.

Last edited:
This is what I have (from long time ago):
DÖRRIES, Friedrich Nicol Daniel
German. B. 04.05.1822, Hamburg - D. 01.01.1917, Hamburg-Bahrenfeld. Known as Fritz Dorries senior. Christiaan Brehm who studied his skins at Hamburg, due the latter he was appointed at the Hamburg Zoological Gardens. He only limited time committed to ornithology, as entomology became his main interest.
DÖRRIES, Carl Gustav - German. B, 10.07.1852 Hamburg - D. 21.02.1953 Hamburg. He went to Russia in 1877-1898 in East Siberia. Also, his brother Henry Gustav (22.07.1861-21.02.1904) & Edmund (03.01.1865-16.03.1958) were at the Island Askold. In 1902 he was at Hamburg again, and led the insecthaus von K. Hagenbeck.
°Bio. Gebhardt, L., 2006. Die Ornithologen Mitteleuropas, 1747 bemerkenswerte Biographien von Mittelalter bis zum Ende des 20.Jahrhundert. Zusammenfassung der Bände 1-4. --- Wiebelsheim.

Last edited:
A fairly new Book about the German collector 'Fritz' Dörries (1852–1953):
• Mannen som elsket Sibir: En sommerfuglsamlers erindringer fra Øst-Sibir [The Man who loved Siberia: A Butterfly collector's Memories of East Siberia], by Roy Jacobsen & Anneliese Pitz, 2019 (in Norwegian), alt. in Swedish: Mannen som älskade Sibirien (2020), for sale; here, (or preview here), resp. here.

Starting with the very words:
MINE FORELDRE GA MEG MANGE navn, men kalte meg bara Fritz, og selv har jeg aldri undertegnet med annet, Fritz Dörries. ...

Meaning, in English:
MY PARENTS GAVE ME MANY names, but called me simply Fritz, and I myself have never signed with anything else [but], Fritz Dörries. ...

A (brief) summary (in English) here.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thus, this far, I'd go with: Friedrich 'Fritz' Carl Gustav Dörries (1852–1953).

Contrary to the shorter entry in today's Key:
doerriesi
Carl Gustav Dörries (1852-1953) German collector, explorer in Siberia (syn. Bubo bubo ussuriensis, syn. Falco tinnunculus, subsp. Ketupa blakistoni, subsp. Yungipicus canicapillus).

Anyone with a different opinion ... ? :unsure:

Supported by the documents.

Friedrich Carl Gustav Dörries, Reisende (i.e., traveller).
b. 10 Jul 1852 in Hamburg; m. Alina Julie Catharina Lerche, 10 Aug 1897 in Hamburg; d. 21 Feb 1953 in Hamburg.
(The dates are in agreement with Wikipedia and Justin's post #5 above. His father (Justin's "Fritz Dorries senior") is given here as Friedrich Nicolaus Daniel Dörries.)

Last edited:
And Nicolaus is supported by his death certificate

Friedrich Nicolaus Daniel Dörries, formerly an Oberfuttermeister (not sure what this implies) if I read the son's marriage record correctly, here given as a Privatmann (which means he was retired).
b. 4 May 1822 in Hamburg, d. 1 Jan 1917 in Altona (his place of residence; given as "Altona, Bahrenfeld" in the son's marriage record; now a borough of Hamburg).
(Dates also in agreement with Justin's post above.)

Last edited:
An Oberfuttermeister was a senior fodder NCO in the beamten which were the uniformed civilian personnel in the Wehrmarcht. As such he was responsible for providing fodder for the livestock (mostly horses but also bullocks and donkeys) that were an essential part of warfare up until the end of WW1.

Here's a confirmation, nothing else, about doerriesi ...

After having had (an enjoyable) read of Jacobsen's & Pitz's Book Mannen som älskade Sibirien (Swedish edition, 2020) I think that we now, once and for all, can conclude that "our guy" truly was: Friedrich 'Fritz' Carl Gustav Dörries (1852–1953), German naturalist, explorer, hunter, and collector [of various Naturalia (and in Great numbers*), as well as of ethnological and anthropological items], (mostly) in Eastern Siberia, though he also travelled, alt. wandered (580 km, by foot, while collecting Plants) through large parts of Japan (Kyushu–Shikoku–Honshu, in the Spring and Summer of 1877, and it was from there his Siberian adventures began).

Before that, back in Hamburg, he was a Gardener. During his about 20 years in Eastern Asia [between 1877 and 1899 (with a handful of, more or less short, visits back home in Hamburg/Europe)] he also visited Korea (in 1888), as well as the border region of Mongolia (in 1897). After his Eastern adventures he worked (for about a decade) at the ethnographical Museum für Volkekunde, and thereafter for Hagenbeck (Zoo), where he established, and ran, an Insektenhaus (for 25 years). During one of his few, short visits back "home", in Hamburg, in late 1895/early 1896, he'd met (his future wife) Alina Lerche (a promising name, in 'Fritz' opinion, as Lerche means Lark in German), and the next time he went back the couple got engaged, in the late Spring of 1897, and married on the 14th of August (the same year).

And note that he himself indeed never seems to have called himself anything (else), but just 'Fritz' Dörries, from Childhood all the way until he died, on the 21st of February, 1953 – at the age of 101! ... which is the reason why I think this nickname truly ought to be mentioned in any text, or texts, about him (also in the Key ;))

Either way, his Siblings were:
Henry Gustav Dörries (1861–1904) ["22.07.1861-21.02.1904", according to Justin's post #5], equally an explorer and zealous collector, who joined 'Fritz' in Siberia (all on his own, at the mere age of 16!), later he (Henry) also had a shop dealing with Natural History items in Stellingen (Germany), and at times he was living (more or less full time) in Vladivostok (also as a Russian citizen!), all in all spending as much (or even more) time in Siberia than his older Brother 'Fritz'. Henry (who never married) also collected in Northern Europe (Scandinavia) for Hagenbeck (Zoo) in 1897, and onwards ... until he died of Cyanide poisoning in 1904 – an occupational hazard I assume [as (potassium) Cyanide, still today, is used by entomologist, as a (rapid) killing agent (minimizing damage to highly fragile specimens)].

Edmund David Dörries (1865–1958) ["03.01.1865-16.03.1958", according to ditto], taxidermist (he was the only Brother who had actually studied taxidermy, both 'Fritz' and Henry were self-taught/autodidacts, trained by their Father). The younger (youngest?) Brother Edmund joined up with his older Brothers (during aone of their rare visits "back home"), in the Winter of 1888/1889, and followed them to Siberia, for three years. Before that he'd collected in Amazonas, South America, for five years! Also he started early (at the age of 16). After Siberia Edmund returned to Germany, where he worked as a taxidermist at Umlauffsches Museum, Hamburg.

• Heinrich Friedrich Wilhelm 'Willy' Dörries [no dates/years given, nor found], (cavalry) captain (at the English School) in Hamburg, Germany (where he stayed all his life – comforting their Mother while the other Brothers were gone travelling).

• ... and he also had seven Sisters!

Enjoy!

Björn

*According to this book, in Eastern Siberia; 'Fritz' Dörries's, together with his Brothers (mostly Henry), collected more than 4 805 Siberian Bird specimens (out of a total 5 500) – of 225 different species + 610 Bird Nests (with complete Egg clutches).

But he/they also collected Non-Birds, in fair numbers (at least):

• 61 500 Butterfly specimens (in Lepidoptera – of 996 species, of which 275 were New ones!)
• 14 500 Beetles – of 1490 species [in total he collected 42 000 specimens (in Coleoptera)]
• 4 500 specimens of Flies, Bees, Wasps, etc. – of about 195 species
• 1 325 Deer Horns/Antlers
• 539 Plants (in Herbarium) [+ 519 Japanese Plants (in ditto)]
• 520 specimens of (predatory) Mammals [as well as other (un-numbered) Mammals]
• 448 specimens of Reptiles and Amphibians
• 340 specimens Land- and Sea Shells
• 265 (prepared) specimens of different Larvae
•... as well as 8 6oo anthropological/ethnological items.

They sure kept themselves busy!

/B

PS. 'Fritz' Dörries also collected at least two Human skulls (fresh from the Graves), which, as well, would make him worthy of the less flattering title: Desecrator of graves (alt. Grave-robber)!

Last edited:
Another thought-worthy part of this book (even more so for those interested in Mammals – if we have any such person/s here on the Bird Name Etymology subforum?) is the following phrase (as told, in the Swedish translation, by Staffan Söderblom):
I de tretusen fot höga bergen runt Bikin upptäckte jag en hjortart som hade lite kortare ben och även generellt mindre kroppsmassa än det sibiriska rådjuret (Capreolus pygarus), som håller till i lövskogarna och har grå päls om vintern.

Den nya hjorten har både sommar och vinter roströd päls och befinner sig aldrig i lövskogarna. Jag lyckades skjuta fyra exemplar av arten, preparerade och sände så småningom skinnen till Europa. Men jag har tyvärr aldrig fått reda på i vilka museer de hamnade. Jag antar att de har beskrivits som Capreolus pygarus i sommarpäls, men det stämmer inte, så ifall den här lilla hjortarten inte är beskriven ännu ger jag den namnet Capreolus doerriese
[sic] f
ör att hedra min bror.

[also scanned by Google Books, here]
Which, in English, would be something like:
In the 3000 feet high Mountains around Bikin I discovered a species of Deer, with slightly shorter legs, and also generally less in Body mass, than the Siberian Roe Deer (Capreolus pygarus) which could be met with in the deciduous forests, and [the latter] having grey fur in Winter.

The New Deer has, in both Summer and Winter, rusty red fur and never to be found in the deciduous forests. I managed to shoot four specimens of the species, prepared [them], and eventually sent them to Europe. But, unfortunately, I have never learnt in what Museums they ended up. I assume that they have been attributed as Capreolus pygarus in Summer fur, but this is not correct, thus, if this small species of Deer is yet not described I give it the name Capreolus doerriese in honour of my Brother [i.e. Henry].

🚦An unknown, plausibly undescribed, Mammal, (still today) hidden in Museum collections ... !?! :oops:

Either way, I mention this as I would guess that a Norwegian Novel from 2020, based on the writings by a German collector active in the late 1800's, might easily be missed by/in Zoological nomenclature.

That this allegedly undescribed taxon (Deer) ended up in a Norwegian Book/Novel published some 140 years after it was discovered/collected (and 80 years after the original text was written*), is due to the fact that it was Dörries's Great Granddaughter Randi Carelius Krogsveen who asked (the celebrated Author) Roy Jacobsen for his help with the Manuscript. She, on her part, had inherited it from Dörries's Daughter Thecla, who'd moved to Norway in the mid-1930's.

Take it for what it's worth (if anything at all), it's just an observation.

/B

*Three handwritten copies were written by 'Fritz' Dörries, in 1942, and then given to his three Daughters, originally intended as nothing but a private (remembrance) account, of the Adventures he and his Brothers had experiences in the Far East.

Last edited:
Apparently hard to let go of 'Fritz', and his Brothers ... ;)

Below are some other texts about the Birds collected by the Dörries Brothers:
• Ueber Vögel aus dem Suifun-Gebiet, gesammelt von Friedrich und Henry Dörries (here), by Heinrich Bolau, Journal für Ornithologie 29, pp. 51–65 (1881).

Both Brothers were equally mentioned in:
Bericht über die Ornithologische Fauna der Insel Askold (in the same journal, of 1881), by Taczanowski, on pp.177–188 (here).

As well as in:
• Beitrag zur Kenntniss der ostsibirischen Vogelwelt (in JfO 30, 1882), again by Heinrich Bolau (here).

-----​

Also see the entomological papers:
Weitere Beiträge zur Coleopteren-Fauna des Amur-Gebietes , 1885 (here), by Dr. O. Staudinger, where Friedrich is/was once again called "Fritz".

Ueber eine Caraben-Sendung von der Suyfun-Mündung vom Amur von F. und H. Dörries, by G. Kraatz, 1887 (here).

Lepidopteren des Kentei-Gebirges, 1892 (here): "In Frühjahr 1879 unternahm Herr Fritz Dörries mit zwei Brüdern, ..." (i.e. ought to have been in 1889).

Einige Bemerkungen über die Seidenspinner Antheraea pernyi Guer. und yamamai Guer. und über die geographische Verbreitung beider Arten, 1920 (here): "Herr Fritz Dörries, jetzt der Leiter des schönen Insekten-hauses im Tierpark Hagenbeck in Hamburg -Stellingen, machte mir die folgenden Mitteilungen, die ..."

... and onwards, as ditto, in other pieces (here).

I'd say he's known as 'Fritz' (and certainly so among entomologists) ...

-----​

As well, see Die Vogelwelt von Ostsibirien, in JfO 36 (1888), pp.58–97, by "Fr. Dörries" himself (here), with an Intro/Vorwort/Preface by "Dr. Th. Noack", starting with the following phrases:
Seit zehn Jahren haben die Herren Gebr. Dörries aus Hamburg sich in Ostsibirien mit zoologischen und ethnographischen Sammlungen beschäftigt. Ihre Reisen erstreckten sich hauptsächlich auf die Insel Ascold bei Wladiwostock, auf das Gebiet der Flüsse Sidimi und Suiffun und des unteren und mittleren Ussury, des letzten grossen Nebenflusses, welchen der Amur auf der linken Seite erhält. Ihre zoologische Ausbeute umfasst besonders reiche Sammlungen von Schmetterlingen, von denen sie über 60 neue Arten gefunden haben, daneben haben sie auch den Säugethieren und Vögeln ihre Aufmerksamkeit gewidmet.

In today's (updated) Key we find the dedicatee as:
doerriesi
Friedrich Carl Gustav Dörries (1852-1953) German collector, explorer in Siberia (syn. Bubo bubo ussuriensis, syn. Falco tinnunculus, subsp. Ketupa blakistoni, subsp. Yungipicus canicapillus).

But, ... are we sure those birds truly were aimed at him alone? :unsure:

Björn

Last edited:
Laurent, as you've clearly seen other ODs in the 1910 issue of Na(s)cha Okhota [Наша Охота (Our Hunt/ing – the monthly magazine dedicated to hunting, rifles, canines and fishing)], in other threads/topics (like here, or here), have you seen Buturlin's Bubo (bubo) doerriesi (1910), as well ... ?

Just to make sure, if it's named after 'Fritz', or his Brother Henry.

And/or, if it's the same as, and/or/alt. preoccupied by, (Ketupa) Bubo [blakistoni] "doerriesi" SEEBOHM 1895?

/B

PS. Also see here, where Buturlin described "Bubo bubo yenisseensis" (in 1911), at the same time commenting on "B. b. doerriesi" (at the end, in context of jakutensis). If relevant?

Last edited:
Laurent, as you've clearly seen other ODs in the 1910 issue of Na(s)cha Okhota [Наша Охота (Our Hunt/ing – the monthly magazine dedicated to hunting, rifles, canines and fishing)], in other threads/topics (like here, or here), have you seen Buturlin's Bubo (bubo) doerriesi (1910), as well ... ?

No, sorry -- I've only seen the (few) notes from this journal that are available as separate scans here -- never a complete volume, thus, and not this particular one.
The full ref should be:
Бутурлин СА. 1910. Птицы Приморской области. Из материалов Владивостокского музея Общества изучения Амурского края. Наша охота, 1910 г. (кн. 6) : 65-80.​

PS. Also see here, where Buturlin described "Bubo bubo yenisseensis" (in 1911), at the same time commenting on "B. b. doerriesi" (at the end, in context of jakutensis). If relevant?

In the first paragraph of this note (9th-10th lines), Buturlin attributed Bubo bubo doerriesi (which he applied to the form of Eagle Owl found in South-Ussuri Krai) to "Seebh.", i.e., Seebohm.
If he used the same name a year earlier, chances are that he was merely misapplying Seebohm's name there too, methinks.

(Very much relevant, I would say. ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back