• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget Canon lens (1 Viewer)

BenjiS

Ginga Ninja
England
I'm still at school and therefore don't have much money, I'm wanting to get a decent zoom lens (400mm+) but not sure what the best option is, have looked at a couple of sigma lenses (150-500 and 150-600) but still not too sure. My budget will definitely not go over £500 and if possible would be nice to keep below that as I am still going to have to save up for about a year to get that. I am happy to get second hand gear and most of my research so far has been using mpb.com for pricing etc.
If it matters I am using a Canon 7D at the moment (mainly because it was one of the cheaper cameras I could find), which I also got of mpb.

Thanks in advance for any advice

You might have a look at a used Tamron lens. I’ve never used one, but some people like them.

First of all, congratulations on the 7D, I am still using the 7D II that I bought new, back when it first came out and I have found it excellent for wildlife photography in general.

Unfortunately, Canon and budget are two words that generally just don't go together. The L series are truly excellent, but you do pay for their performance. I have had a 100-400mm L in the past and found it excellent with the 7D and do regret trading it in for the Sigma 150-600mm. The Sigma does give excellent image quality at a lower cost, but you pay for it in the bulky size and the very noticeable weight. I found that the extra reach wasn't as useful as I had anticipated as when birding I have found that atmospheric distortion due to ground or water heating is also amplified to where you don't gain nearly as much as you might expect.

Because it fits in my retirement budget and provided a lighter weight (important when you reach my age), while still giving excellent image quality and is a much less bulky solution, I have currently settled on a used Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS coupled with the Canon 1.4 III Extender. Taking into account the 1.6 crop of the 7D, it gives me the equivalent of 420mm f/5.6. Works great and also a great travel kit. The only issue I have found is the slide switch for the IS tends to be a little too easy to throw and I have often found I accidentally switched off the IS. Occasionally I miss having the zoom option when I spot something I want to get a shot of but am forced to back up so far that I often don't have the room to frame it properly.

Do your research and keep looking through the used listings and you should find a compromise to meet your needs. Good luck!

I use a G1 Tamron 150-600 lens which Ok not the quickest to focus does produce some good results you should be able to pick up a decent second hand copy. Other wise the original Sigma Bigma 50-500 lens when I owned one although heavy and again not very fast in focusing in fact I could manual focus it quicker than it could auto focus it was a great work horse. Other wise look at Tamron or Sigma 100-400 lenses.
All the best
Tim.

I'm still at school and therefore don't have much money, I'm wanting to get a decent zoom lens (400mm+) but not sure what the best option is, have looked at a couple of sigma lenses (150-500 and 150-600) but still not too sure. My budget will definitely not go over £500 and if possible would be nice to keep below that as I am still going to have to save up for about a year to get that. I am happy to get second hand gear and most of my research so far has been using mpb.com for pricing etc.
If it matters I am using a Canon 7D at the moment (mainly because it was one of the cheaper cameras I could find), which I also got of mpb.

Thanks in advance for any advice
How about a used Canon 400mm f5.6. Light and a lot of people swore by it. Known for its sharpness but don't think it will take an extender, at least, not very well.

As previously stated, the 7D + 400/5.6 would be a great combo for you, No image stabilisation would be something to consider and a good technique would be required.
Note: an extender would not be a good idea as you would lose autofocus with the Canon 7D + 400/f5.6 + 1.4 extender

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back