• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Story of a Wildlife Pool (1 Viewer)

Next stage was excavate out the section between the existing pool and the newly excavated ...and like magic one new mega pool materialises.

Unfortunately I was not there at the moment of break through. Apologies to all the frogs who were peacefully swimming around when suddenly their calm abode suddenly turned into a rushing torrent - must have been Lithuania's biggest waterfall for a few brief moments 😅

Here it is the morning after, all the area to the rear is the new part. It looks quite small in this photo - the water level will be much higher than this and consequently broader, most of the water flooded into the excavated hole.

IMG_20211008_091438018_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Excavator man thought he had nearly finished at this stage, but I decided it needed to be bigger - I marked out an area at the rear to further expand both in length and width. That is what he is about to start in the above photo.

Fortunately disturbance overall is very minor - the feeding station at the opposite end of the adjacent pool is still full of birds, even the moderately shy Grey-headed Woodpecker visiting despite the iron monster cranking its arm and dumping yet more mountains of soil.

In the last few days, one more bird treat - to the one side, clanks of the excavator and sploshes of water being displaced, to the other the oh so evocative calls of a Pygmy Owl. Newly arrived, ajd hopefully going to stay for the winter, it is calling both evening and during the day.

Excavator man did a good job lengthening and broadening the far end, so when he popped off home for the evening I decided he could do the same at the near end and marked out a new area for him to work on next day.

Enthusiastic guy he is, not only did he do exactly that, but decided to add considerable depth to this section, video below:

Very interesting stuff. I will definitely follow how the pond will develop in the future. And I hope that the digging doesn't do any harm for flooded forest. Usually when people (in Finland) want to deepen their home shores (be it a lake or a pond), they do so by digging the shores deeper, when a more sensible trick would be to make a dam in a drain. But all the places aren't the same and if I understand correctly you don't even have a drain. I hope we saw Little Grebe and many other creatures in your pond soon. Maybe not the next summer, but after the vegetation has grown back.

And like some others, I am so envy your place. I dig "a pond" in my garden couple of years ago. It's huge - about 1m x 1,5 m... :rolleyes: :LOL:

I hope that the digging doesn't do any harm for flooded forest. Usually when people (in Finland) want to deepen their home shores (be it a lake or a pond), they do so by digging the shores deeper, when a more sensible trick would be to make a dam in a drain.
Flood forest is unaffected ... despite being close, it is another side of a small hill and does not receive its water from the area of this pond. There are no above ground drains, just (fortunately relatively ineffective) underground Soviet drainage - this now supplies my pool. Pool is now full 👍

And with the first pool completed, it seemed a waste to send the excavator away without doing a little management on its baby sister pool:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back