• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulk Seed in Blue Barrel? (1 Viewer)

Mike McCrea

United States
This is more of a specific seed container source than an actual seed/feed question.

We have multiple feeders outside the house; seed feeders, suet feeders, hummingbird feeders and an oriole feeder.

We go through a LOT of seed, and I make my own custom seed, nut and fruit mix in 50lb batches. A few years ago I spotted a blue barrel with a locking ring in the back of a UPS truck and asked if I could see the shipping label. It was from some bird seed company and I wrote down the name. And promptly lost it. I have Googled every possible variation of “bulk bird seed blue barrel” to no avail.

I use those blue barrels, 30 liter barrels and 45L barrels, even a 60L, which gets heavy, for other purposes. They are hard to find used, and pricey new. I would like to rediscover that bulk seed source that is shipped in those blue barrels.

I don’t much care about the initial quality of the seed, I’ll probably enhance it. Even a 20 liter blue barrel would suffice. I’m not interested in other seed containers, boxes or bins, just the blue barrels with locking lid rings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I used to work next to a factory that made jam and marmalade.
They had, literally, hundreds of those barrels. They arrived full of fruit of various types.
I believe they reused them as much as possible but they certainly sold some off as well.

Don’t know if you have a similar factory near you but it might be a lead.

Well Mike what part of the US do you reside in. In most parts there are retailers selling a complete line of barrels and associated products. I'm in Galveston county Texas and have one just a few miles down the road on Hwy 146.

Dean,

I’m currently on the Isles of Scilly but actually live in northern England.
I thought the England flag 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 below my name might have given it away !!
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back