• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bullfinch (Northern), Fife (1 Viewer)

Gander

I had a large influx of Bullfinch at one of my local patches in Fife yesterday. Managed to photograph a couple of them, and am wondering if either of them could be Northern. The second bird in particular looked “biggish“, and primary projection strong. Both seem to be paler than normal on the back.

I'm not convinced myself, but thought it worth running past the more knowledgeable. I'd appreciate any pointers on Northern Bullfinch ID (don't say wears a flat cap).

Attachments

• DSCN8219.jpg
    DSCN8219.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8228.jpg
    DSCN8228.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 56

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
I dont think the male is, as I recall from Finland and Norway the pink was far more intense and the wing bars white rather than grey. Also the call of Northern birds are different and described as sounding like a toy trumpet ( for those of us oldies ).

Last edited:

dwatsonbirder

I am unqualified to comment further other than to mention the call (as Pat pointed out) and the "saw-toothed" edge of the tertials on Northern, but wouldn't a 1w male (of either subspecies) show a grey wingbar, and the buff tipped innermost tertial also support this being a 1w bird?

Users who are viewing this thread