• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting and Flycatcher from Turkey (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Hi everyone,
Photographed these this morning near my house in Ankara.
I am torn between Rock and Cirl on the bunting. Few yellow feathering around wing bend and more extensive streaking suggest Cirl to me but this would be rather unusual here. Stumped.
The flycatcher, which unfortunately remained silent during our brief encounter, shows the warm brown upperparts of an E. Pied but the pale rump patch of a Collared. Similarly, the primary base patch on the left wing is perfect for E. Pied while the one on the right extends past the primary coverts and also apparently extends rather significantly to P5 (unless I'm counting the primaries wrong). Dare I suggest a hybrid?
Thanks in advance, hope everyone is well

Attachments

• ç1.jpg
    ç1.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 78
  • ç2.jpg
    ç2.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 64
  • ç3.jpg
    ç3.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 77
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 73
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Juv.Cirl Bunting and F.hypoleuca for me kuzeycem, regarding range of the former they do appear to range from Western Turkey to the East according to Collins?

Cheers

A juvenile Cirl Bunting (and no Rock Bunting or Yellowhammer) for me, too. Head pattern, colours, spotted breast with streaks to the flanks and belly. Everything looks good to me.

Thanks all. Ken: Cirl mostly has a coastal distribution in Turkey however it can be found in the northern and western fringes of Inner Anatolia (thus Ankara). However the habitat was a very poor fit for Cirl and the breeding areas of Cirl in Ankara are across the province from here. So I was a bit sceptical. But I am convinced now that this is a Cirl.

Re. Flycatcher, both Shirihai & Svensson and van Duivendijk mention Pied can show tiny white on P5 but this bird shows quite a lot I think (at least on its right wing).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back