• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting (cirl or rock?) - Madrid, Spain (1 Viewer)

la_ravachol

Spain
Hi all,

I'm assuming this individual is either a cirl or rock bunting as both are present at this location (Quijorna, Madrid). In real life I felt it had a yellowish colour so was leaning towards cirl bunting. I took a couple of photos to be sure, but this was the best I could get before it flew away and, frankly, for me these bad photos only confuse matters further! I'm a relatively recent immigrant to Spain so I'm not very familiar with either species and cirl buntings have otherwise alluded me altogether so far. Can anyone help please?? Thanks!

bunting-2.jpg
bunting.jpg

I'd go for cirl. Face pattern (parallel black bars), lack of pale breast/"hood" means I can't see this as rock bunting

[Edit: yes agree with the others. Seeing this on a proper screen now!]

Last edited:
Just wanted to jump in here to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back