• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bunting trouble | Kent, UK (1 Viewer)

louise S

Sweden
Hello,

I have a few photos of buntings (or similar) from today in Kent, that I'm having trouble identifying. My guess for the first was reed bunting and the third maybe skylark; no idea about the second. I still find corn bunting/female yellowhammer/reed bunting difficult to distinguish from a distance though.

Any suggestions?

1612290204855.png 1612290251067.png 1612290300353.png

louise S

Sweden
Oooh I hadn't even considered a linnet. Thanks :)

I was caught between corn bunting and yellowhammer for #1. It's harder to tell all these buntings apart than I thought!

Alexander Stöhr

Although, it is already correctly identified imo, first bird is a Corn Bunting for me, too.
Features against Reed Bunting are:
- pink lower mandible
-bill gives the impression of beeing to large for this species
-in many Reed Buntings, the malar stripe is broader, more prominent and blacker than in this bird
-in some Reed Buntings, the rump is paler grey, contrasting slightly with the darker and browner back

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Oooh I hadn't even considered a linnet. Thanks :)

I was caught between corn bunting and yellowhammer for #1. It's harder to tell all these buntings apart than I thought!
It is definitely a Corn Bunting Louise - note the overall pale light brown olive tones, relatively plain features, and sloping forehead to a very heavy bill, large head and small eye. In other words if you see a fairly nondescript, bulky bunting with no outstanding field markings and a noticeably chunky bill, you are likely looking at a Corn Bunting rather than any other bunting species! 😉

louise S

Sweden
Thanks for all of these! If #1 is a corn bunting, I actually have one more to add to this - after a fashion, we identified this one as a yellowhammer. To me, though, it looks completely identical to #1. Do you agree with yellowhammer or is this a corn bunting too?

1612300755415.png

louise S

Sweden
Oh interesting! My partner posted this photo to a local birding site and about eight people have told us it's a yellowhammer :p. Never knew this could be so contentious!

Just out of curiosity, what did you see as the defining features in this case?

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Louise your bird has a featureless greyish rump. Yellowhammer has a warm brown/slightly rufous rump with variable streaking.

see here

Note the face pattern too - the stripe behind ear coverts does not continue in an unbroken line to the rear of the eye as it often does in Yellowhammer, making for a plainer face. The bill is large and yellowish - on Yellowhammer it is smaller and grey.

There are other features but others may elaborate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread