• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Custom 7x35 Bins - loose central hinge fix (1 Viewer)

JohnJos

Hello,

I have a pair of Bushnell Custom 7x35 Binoculars with a J-B8 / J-E20 FPO code. They unfortunately have a very loose central hinge. Is there an easy way to tighten this hinge? I do see two holes in the front on the hinge where the Bushnell - Japan logo on the tripod mount is located. Can I use a small pin spanner to tighten the hinge in this manner? Or do I remove the cap on the hinge at the ocular end to find a method to tighten the hinge? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My other pair (J-B8 / J-E55), which I've had for a couple of years now, have a nice tight hinge and they are really a joy to use. I keep them in my car always at hand for birding. Both pairs give superb clear sharp views. Not bad for $40.

Thanks,
John

Take the tripod cover plate off. It just unscrews. There will be a black remnant if the tripod adapter there. You may need to loosen a couple of very small set screws from two holes clearly visible. That can then be unscrewed. Then there is a series if interlocking brass rings. On the outermost ring there are four holes. Two have small screws. They need to be loosened. You can then use a spanner or pin wrench to tighten the ring.

DISCLAIMER: Don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing. The brass is soft and EASILY damaged. Those screws are small and EASILY lost. Don't fool with them unless you have proper tools.

Usually with an older classic binocular there may be excessive wear on a thrust washer. If that is the case you will NOT tighten the hinge without the thrust washer getting replaced.

You are right, they are a neat classic binocular.

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick reply and details instructions. I will give it a try. Do you have any idea of where to source a replacement thrust washer should this one be in too poor of condition to reuse?

I have not looked on mine, but from what I see of how they are assembled, the thrust washers are usually in the hinge. Replacing those requires separating the two halves of the binocular. I've gone there with binoculars I did not care about or that were junk including a FUBAR CUstom, and trust me, you do not want to get into the monkey puzzle of putting all that back together correctly ;). The chances are high of ruining the binocular. If it is worth something to you, then professional repair is my recommendation...unless the sim[ple tightening of the central hinge works.

Thanks Steve. Agreed, that would not be a wise move. If I can simply tighten the hinge then I'm happy and will use them around the yard or take them along in the car. Much appreciated. John

John - sometimes a few drops of blue Loc Tite in the hinge bearing surfaces will help, It will gum up things a little and act as a filler. Makes sure it is blue (never red) Loc Tite. give it a few days or more to get stiff.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back