• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Engage 10x42's (1 Viewer)

Just received yesterday a pair of Engage 10x42 bins I purchased online. Looking them over, checking for collimation issues, among other things, I discovered that when focused on an object and then slowly moving the bins away from my eyes(5-6 inches), the diameter of the right barrel appears smaller than that of the left by about 1/3. Can anyone explain this? In the field for about 2 hours they seemed fine, offering views equivalent to those of my Bushnell M series 10X42s. Patrick

Last edited:
Just received yesterday a pair of Engage 10x42 bins I purchased online. Looking them over, checking for collimation issues, among other things, I discovered that when focused on an object and then slowly moving the bins away from my eyes(5-6 inches), the diameter of the right barrel appears smaller than that of the left by about 1/3. Can anyone explain this? In the field for about 2 hours they seemed fine, offering views equivalent to those of my Bushnell M series 10X42s. Patrick

I think you will be OK, just spend more time getting used to your new
binocular.

Just use it, and don't spend time trying to test and play unless you know
what you are doing.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Jerry

Thanks Binastro, and NDhunter. I am now convinced that the disparity I saw between the barrels was due to the way I was holding the bins while testing, not equidistant for both from my eyes. Spent a few hrs. in the field yesterday and was very pleased with how the bins performed. Crystal clear image with no noticeable CA, just as with the M series. ...Thanks again, Patrick

Well, one last,"observation." Just had an idea to turn bins upside down so that barrels would reverse positions. Left barrel with correct orientation becomes right when upside down, etc. Again, performing the same test, barrel on the right was smaller in diameter by about 1/3. It's not the bins... Patrick

I bought a pair of these recently and I'm really enjoying them! The only issue is what I'm assuming you all refer to as internal reflection? On a bright day like today, with the Sun at 90degrees to my viewing angle, I get two little "moons" in my view. When the Sun is off of my right shoulder the moons are in the right, and the opposite when the Sun is on my left shoulder. I've tried adjusting my eye position but that doesn't work until I get my eyes so far out of position that I can't see anything. It's mildly annoying but I think I can live with it. I love them otherwise!

I bought a pair of these recently and I'm really enjoying them! The only issue is what I'm assuming you all refer to as internal reflection? On a bright day like today, with the Sun at 90degrees to my viewing angle, I get two little "moons" in my view. When the Sun is off of my right shoulder the moons are in the right, and the opposite when the Sun is on my left shoulder. I've tried adjusting my eye position but that doesn't work until I get my eyes so far out of position that I can't see anything. It's mildly annoying but I think I can live with it. I love them otherwise!
Yes, the only fault I have found. Overall very pleased.

I have the Bandit Bino Slicker and it works good for me.

Attachments

• 11-20-16  turkey, eyepiece cover 029 (1280x960).jpg
    11-20-16 turkey, eyepiece cover 029 (1280x960).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 11-20-16  turkey, eyepiece cover 034 (1280x960).jpg
    11-20-16 turkey, eyepiece cover 034 (1280x960).jpg
    224 KB · Views: 66

I completely agree.

I received my 2nd pair of 10x42 Engage bins today. I am still in shock at how good they are for $200. It's really amazing what they managed to pack in to those tiny little bins. I say "tiny" because I've yet to see another pair of 10x42's that were as small. They are almost "too" small! I don't think my Sightron Blue Sky 8x32's are any smaller actually.

Minor internal reflections are honestly the only down side I've found to these binoculars. The up side is image quality that challenges binoculars that cost 5x as much.

After using them for a while now I don't even notice it. It only occasionally occurs under just the right conditions. Still very happy with them!

I don't think the reflections come in from the eyepieces. I was testing this yesterday evening, and I stood in my dark garage and looked out on the neighborhood in the fading evening light. There were a few lights on buildings nearby and a few reflections off of windows. I could see very faint reflections within the barrels that were not coming from anything inside my garage. But it's honestly not enough to bother me and you don't see them all the time. Using them this morning in early light on an open field, I never noticed those reflections. It only happens under certain situations and can be cured with eye position most of the time.

I saw a pair of warehouse deals Engage 10x42's come up for $110 a couple weeks ago, so I decided to jump on them. I have two pairs of the Legend M 8x42's which are my main birding binoculars. One lives in my house, the other in my car.

Comparing the 10x42 Engage's to the 8x42 Legend M's, I found the optics in the two pretty similar. I believe the general sentiment is that the Engage's are basically the Legend M's optics in a different form factor. I went back and forth for a while and found that the increase in size of the 10x42's seems barely perceptible. Meanwhile, the apparent FOV was noticeably smaller than the 8x42 Legend M. The eye relief seemed about as advertised (1mm less than the 8x42 Legend M, IIRC), but with glasses on I wasn't quite able to see the extreme edges of the image circle.

On the plus side, the Engage has a more compact form factor, and was perhaps just barely lighter. The focus was also better than at least one of my pairs of Legend M 8x42's which have always been stiff. Assuming the Engage 8X42's perform similarly to the Legend M's, I'd say the 8x42's are the ones to buy. Almost identical resolving power to the 10x42's and with a bigger image circle and more eye relief to boot.

The Engage are a nice glass, but getting a good sample can be frustrating. It took me a while to find a good Legend M 8X42, and though the Engage are priced right and wanting to obtain a nice 8X42 Engage, I gave up, too much frustration.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back