• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Rangemaster: Vintage Binocular vs. Modern Birds (1 Viewer)

. Regarding the fields of view mentioned above.
Although these can be measured accurately using the stars it is important to compare the magnifications. Some binoculars that are marked as seven times are actually 6.7 times or 6.5 times.
All that is necessary is to compare the various binoculars with each other at a distance using saying a brick wall. It is not really necessary to exactly check the magnification.

If a genuine 7×35 binocular has a field of 11.0° and another has a 12.0° field but is only actually 6.5 times then they both have more or less the same apparent field of view.
The problem is further complicated by the fact that magnifications change across the field in various amounts with differing eyepieces.

In addition if the two fields of view don't exactly overlap then the field size appears to be more than it actually is in each half of the binocular. It is actually larger.
I sometimes deliberately slightly change the IPD from the correct value to get a slightly wider field of view.

A further measure of the actual inaccuracy of field sizes is that a handheld binocular even at seven times magnification has a wider field of view than if it is tripod mounted.
This is because hand tremor increases the real field of view somewhat and the persistence of vision sees a larger field of view handheld.

So when quoting fields of view the above points need to be borne in mind. And there may be other points that other observers may think of.

I am looking into purchasing a pair of the Rangemasters to try but I am confused about a couple of points, could some kind soul please help me out by answering a couple of questions?

What do the various acronyms like "FPO" stand for in regards to the Rangemasters? I know what the general ones stand for, just not the ones specific to the Rangemasters.

How do I tell the different versions (like the Fuji versus the Tamron) apart? I am trying to figure out which version the one I am looking at could be. This one has flat surfaces on the body and looks much more modern than a classic Poro prism design. No silver and the neckstrap attachment is on the shiny black, not the body. Also, no screws in this top plate.

What's a good price for a Tamron Rangemaster in good (not excellent) condition and lacking the case?

Approximately when were these different versions produced?

You all are so awesome, thank you so much for helping!

I am looking into purchasing a pair of the Rangemasters to try but I am confused about a couple of points, could some kind soul please help me out by answering a couple of questions?

What do the various acronyms like "FPO" stand for in regards to the Rangemasters? I know what the general ones stand for, just not the ones specific to the Rangemasters.

How do I tell the different versions (like the Fuji versus the Tamron) apart? I am trying to figure out which version the one I am looking at could be. This one has flat surfaces on the body and looks much more modern than a classic Poro prism design. No silver and the neckstrap attachment is on the shiny black, not the body. Also, no screws in this top plate.

What's a good price for a Tamron Rangemaster in good (not excellent) condition and lacking the case?

Approximately when were these different versions produced?

You all are so awesome, thank you so much for helping!
Well, in this instance the FPO stands for Fuji Photo Optical, the manufacturer of the first of several of the Rangemaster series. from your description you are looking at an FPO version. The Tamron is the last version and has sort of a spaceship looking, kind of swept wing design.

Bushnell did not produce their binoculars (and still does not). The Rangemaster appeared in the late 50's and lasted until the early 70's.

Be advised these are BIG binoculars. The view remains top notch, but a bit less bright compared to modern multi coatings.

It has been a few years since I bought mine, so I can't say what you will need to pay these days. There are photod of the two I have in post 1 and 7 in the beginning of the thread.

Welcome to BF by the way.

Last edited:
Steve, thank you so much for the information! This is the pair I am buying. I thought they were the newer version but I would be thrilled with the older FPO version too! They have the 11° printed on them and are in good but used condition.

I have heard so many good things about the Rangemaster series that I had to try a pair. They're certainly different looking. Most of my observing is done with older binoculars just because one can get such wonderful glass relatively inexpensively.

I also just picked up a good deal on a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 8x30 W binoculars with the multi-coatings from England (all of the best deals on German optics come from overseas). I suspect one of the reasons the shipping was so low was because they're shipping them by the slow boat so goodness only knows when I'll actually get them.

Once I do, I really want to compare the Zeiss, the Rangemaster, and my vintage 7x35 to 8x40 Japanese binoculars with the ultra-wide fields of view. I strongly suspect the stiffest competition will be between the Zeiss, the Rangemaster, and the Swift but one can't say for certain until actually compared side-by-side in the field.

Attachments

• rangemaster 1.jpeg
    rangemaster 1.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 14
  • rangemaster 2.jpeg
    rangemaster 2.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back