• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buteo, Tibet (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

Hi all!

In August 2011 I saw this Buteo somewhere near Namtso Lake. I initially identified it as Golden Eagle, which retroactively is of course incorrect looking at plumage, structure, amount of fingers etc. It seems to be a Buteo instead: Upland Buzzard would be the expected species in this location I believe, but I don't quite know how to exclude a dark morph Long-legged Buzzard (or even Steppe/Himalayan Buzzard) based on this picture alone, which is unfortunately the only picture I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

23243397.jpg

Dark tail-band too narrow for golden eagle? But upland buzzard seems to have no white (ever??) on upperside of secondaries :unsure:

I find finger-counting a pretty equivocal business. That Macaulay bird could indeed - plausibly - be yours. It seems that field guides just don't do upland buzzard adequately.

I find finger-counting a pretty equivocal business. That Macaulay bird could indeed - plausibly - be yours. It seems that field guides just don't do upland buzzard adequately.
Fair enough, and you're definitely right in the last point!

Still definitely looking for someone that knows how to definitely exclude Long-legged and Himalayan buzzard from Upland - I thought the answer could be in the tail band (but dark Long-legged can have that), or indeed the amount of white/grey in the primaries, but I've also found some other fairly similar dark morph Long-leggeds with similar wings as my bird... Any other suggestions or tips welcome!

only if you saw its legs: partly feathered in Upland, naked in LLB and Himalayan. and if you saw it together with a Himalayan and it would appear like 1,5 x of the size of Himalayan :p

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back