• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies 2020 (1 Viewer)

string boozel

I thought that I might try a different approach this year with the butterflies and dragonflies and report sightings as I get them rather than waiting for the season to end.

My UK butterfly season began today with the sighting of a Peacock in Corby Old Village. I found it walking on the floor in the alley outside my home. Thinking that it might get squished given that it appeared to be a little torpid I chose to move it to a safer spot below a window ledge on an east facing wall. Hopefully it can sit out the rubbish weather predicted for tonight!

1/ Peacock. One at Corby Old Village 7/3/20.

Attachments

• 004_01.JPG
    004_01.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Three Camberwells (various including Suffolk and Hampshire) and two Large Torts (on Portland) have already been seen this year, presumably emerging from hibernation. The implication that quite a lot of Camberwells were aviating around late autumn without being noticed is really quite frustrating....

John

I've seen a photo of a Camberwell Beauty from Essex John, really quite gripping but nice to know that they survived our almost non existent winter.

Returned from a visit to Norfolk today with enough time to check out a local site this afternoon. Luck was with me as I found four butterflies of three different species. Two male Brimstones included an obliging individual that landed while single Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell were also seen.

2/ Brimstone. Two males near Corby Sewage Treatment works 16/3/20.

3/ Small Tortoiseshell. One near Corby STW 16/3/20.

Attachments

• 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 138.JPG
    138.JPG
    589.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 145.JPG
    145.JPG
    629.2 KB · Views: 20
A rather tatty Peacock in my garden this lunchtime.

A friend had Peacock and Red Admiral in her garden yesterday, or did she say Saturday when the weather was ok....

Lovely conditions here in Northamptonshire where four species of butterflies were seen A year first Comma was noted at Weldon Pocket Park, the other species were Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.

4/ Comma One at Weldon Pocket Park.

Attachments

• 027_02.JPG
    027_02.JPG
    774.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 022_01.JPG
    022_01.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Lovely conditions here in Northamptonshire where four species of butterflies were seen A year first Comma was noted at Weldon Pocket Park, the other species were Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.

4/ Comma One at Weldon Pocket Park.

Beat me to it! Comma in North Devon yesterday and today, plus 6 or 7 Peacocks and 3 Small Tortoiseshell today.

On my daily exercise stroll here in sunny Northants I found my first Orange-tips of the year with two males having a bit of a spat at Weldon. No pictures yet but it often takes a day or two for these supercharged little beggars to calm down.

5/ Orange-tip. Two at Weldon 6/4/20.

Today's exercise walk here in Corby, Northants provided another new species for the year in the shape of a Small White. Unlike yesterday's Orange-tip this one hung around for a little bit.

6/ Small White. One at Southwood, Corby 7/4/20.

Attachments

• 030_01.JPG
    030_01.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 049_01.JPG
    049_01.JPG
    635.9 KB · Views: 19
More beautiful Spring weather today bringing out an increasing number of butterflies. On my exercise walk today I saw another new species for 2020 with two Holly Blues doing what comes naturally to them! Orange-tips are increasing and one of them posed long enough for a pic.

7/ Holly Blue. Two at Weldon, 9/4/20.

Attachments

• 006_01.JPG
    006_01.JPG
    589.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 024_01.JPG
    024_01.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
More beautiful Spring weather today bringing out an increasing number of butterflies. On my exercise walk today I saw another new species for 2020 with two Holly Blues doing what comes naturally to them! Orange-tips are increasing and one of them posed long enough for a pic.

7/ Holly Blue. Two at Weldon, 9/4/20.

Yes had both of them today, along with Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood, Large and Small White.

My exercise walk in Corby provided my first Speckled Wood of the year, other species seen were Peacock, Brimstone, Small White and Orange-tip.

8/ Speckled Wood. 1 in Brookfield Plantation, Corby 10/4/20.

Attachments

• 017_01.JPG
    017_01.JPG
    656.7 KB · Views: 17
Another new species for the year today whilst out on my exercise walk when I found a fresh looking Green-veined White near Weldon.

9/ Green-veined White 1 near Kirby Lane 11/4/20.

Attachments

• 015_01.JPG
    015_01.JPG
    676.8 KB · Views: 16
A good day for butterflies today whilst out on my daily walk with a total of eight species being noted. Orange-tips were the commonest species though the highlight was the sighting of several Large Whites which were my first of the year. Sadly they were too active to get a pic but they may calm down a little in the next week or two.

10/ Large White Several in the Weldon area 15/4/20.

Today's exercise walk to me to Corby STW where I was fortunate enough to see my first Green Hairstreaks of the year.

11/ Green Hairstreak 6 near to Corby sewage treatment works 17/4/20.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 22
A twelfth species for the year on my walk today when I found a Grizzled Skipper near Corby, Northants 19/4/20.

12/ Grizzled Skipper 1 near Corby 19/4/20.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    789.5 KB · Views: 25
A good day in the Corby area with my first Red Admiral of the year followed soon afterwards by my first Dingy Skippers. Green Hairstreaks and a Grizzled Skipper also seen.

13/ Red Admiral One seen near Corby 25/4/20.

14/ Dingy Skipper Ten plus seen near Corby 25/4/20.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    635.8 KB · Views: 23
Nothing new today though I did finally manage to get a record shot of a Large White in Brookfield Plantation, Corby today 2/5/20.

Attachments

• 009_01.JPG
    009_01.JPG
    798.6 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back