• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Butterflies in the Austrian Alps in late August (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

I stayed in Lech, a village at about 1450 metres above sea level in the western Austrian region of Vorarlberg from 23rd to 30th August. I forgot to take my butterfly ID book and do not have photographic equipment which might enable me to photograph fast flying butterflies.

I did, however, see several butterflies which looked like brimstones. Much more common in these Alpine meadows were 2 species which I could not identify. The most common of all was a very dark species of, presumably, ringlet which would have been about the size of a meadow brown. Sometimes I could see a paler brown patch on the forewing. There was also a smaller species which had a paler blue colour than that of the common blue. On one occasion one of these paler blue butterflies was flying with a similarly sized light brown butterfly, the female of the same species?

In short, are there particular species of ringlet and blue which are most common in that part of the Alps? If I go back again (and I'd certainly like to) I'd be able to keep an eye out for them in more hope of identifying them. I'll leave my butterfly ID book in my suitcase so I don't forget it!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread