• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Butterfly guide for Europe - recommendations (1 Viewer)

jurek

I need a Christmas gift for a friend who is into butterflies. He was fascinated by the guide of Lefranchis 2004 (out of print sadly), so needs a good small-format guide, preferably photos.

aeshna5

The Lefrancis guide is superb & very useful with some basic keys- such a shame it hasn't been reprinted or updated. Certainly value my garden.

A lovely portable photo guide I have an early edition of which has fairly recently been revised is the Butterflies of Britain & Europe by Haahtela, Saarinen et al.

When I do European tours I tend to take both the above titles with me.

Andy Adcock

England
The Lefrancis guide is superb & very useful with some basic keys- such a shame it hasn't been reprinted or updated. Certainly value my garden.

A lovely portable photo guide I have an early edition of which has fairly recently been revised is the Butterflies of Britain & Europe by Haahtela, Saarinen et al.

When I do European tours I tend to take both the above titles with me.

Can you provide more details of this book please, I find no reference to an author of that name?

aeshna5

Can you provide more details of this book please, I find no reference to an author of that name?

See Regor has now done this. The author has also published a 2 volume flora of Greece which is also no longer available.

He leads butterfly tours for Greenwings.

Users who are viewing this thread