• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Butterfly ID Italian Alps near Brescia (1 Viewer)

Jan-Paul Charteris

Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast
A friend of mine took this recently in the Italian Alps not far north of Brescia and above 1000m. Is it a Common Brassy Ringlet? That was the best fit I could find, but concerned there do seem to be at least one or two similar species there. Would be grateful for any help with the ID :t:

All the best

Jan

Attachments

• 954751_10151431283300264_1144156588_n.jpg
    954751_10151431283300264_1144156588_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 105

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
Look alright for Common Brassy Ringlet Erebia cassioides . The occeli on the fore wing are conjoined. The orange patch doesn't seem to reach as far as the cell and the occeli on the hind wing are well developed - and its in the right area. Having said that, Ringlet are not the easiest of butterflies.

Chris

chris butterworth

Woodland Ringlet has a form, hippomedusa with a very similar forewing pattern except there is a black spot in the centre of the orange dot in S2 and has only 3 ocelli on the hind wing. The usual form has many more occeli on the forewing and 3 on the hind with a 'blind' orange spot.

Chris

Jan-Paul Charteris

Cheers for your replies Chris :t: There do seem to be a lot of ringlet species found in Italy, but based on the number of occeli and extent of orange on the forewing, plus the shine to the upperwing, Common Brassy was the closest I could find, albeit I have no experience of them in life

Here is another moth from the same place. Help identifying appreciated.

I'll post another picture from the other side when I get home.

Thanks, Paolo

Attachments

• mystery butterfly.jpeg
    mystery butterfly.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 46

chris butterworth

That's a male Paolo, it's got feathery antennae. I'm afraid that's about as close as I can get as moths are a group I steer well clear of. :eek!:

Chris

Jan-Paul Charteris

Will start by suggesting Common Heath for the last one, though I'm not sure what similar species there may be in Italy

Users who are viewing this thread