• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly ID Italian Alps near Brescia (1 Viewer)

Jan-Paul Charteris

Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast
A friend of mine took this recently in the Italian Alps not far north of Brescia and above 1000m. Is it a Common Brassy Ringlet? That was the best fit I could find, but concerned there do seem to be at least one or two similar species there. Would be grateful for any help with the ID :t:

All the best

Jan

Attachments

• 954751_10151431283300264_1144156588_n.jpg
    954751_10151431283300264_1144156588_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 105
Look alright for Common Brassy Ringlet Erebia cassioides . The occeli on the fore wing are conjoined. The orange patch doesn't seem to reach as far as the cell and the occeli on the hind wing are well developed - and its in the right area. Having said that, Ringlet are not the easiest of butterflies.

Chris

Woodland Ringlet has a form, hippomedusa with a very similar forewing pattern except there is a black spot in the centre of the orange dot in S2 and has only 3 ocelli on the hind wing. The usual form has many more occeli on the forewing and 3 on the hind with a 'blind' orange spot.

Chris

Cheers for your replies Chris :t: There do seem to be a lot of ringlet species found in Italy, but based on the number of occeli and extent of orange on the forewing, plus the shine to the upperwing, Common Brassy was the closest I could find, albeit I have no experience of them in life

Here is another moth from the same place. Help identifying appreciated.

I'll post another picture from the other side when I get home.

Thanks, Paolo

Attachments

• mystery butterfly.jpeg
    mystery butterfly.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 46
That's a male Paolo, it's got feathery antennae. I'm afraid that's about as close as I can get as moths are a group I steer well clear of. :eek!:

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back