• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly lens (1 Viewer)

Jerry S

United Kingdom
What is the best canon lens for butterfly photography . I have a 100mm macro, looking for the best image quality

What is the best canon lens for butterfly photography . I have a 100mm macro, looking for the best image quality

Jerry if you have a Canon EF 100 f2.8 Macro L IS USM then you already have the best lens. The pic below was taken with this and was hand-held at the time. Using a monopod is better.

Lee

Attachments

• Hummingbird HawkmothRed.jpg
    Hummingbird HawkmothRed.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 148
Jerry

You have to learn how to get close enough. There is no easy way around it.

Trying to solve this problem with longer lenses is the same as trying to solve birding problems with more magnification. You have 8x binos so swap them for 10x because some detail and image size is always out of reach, but even with the 10x there are still subjects that are too small, so you go to 15x binos, then scopes, but always there is a bird out of reach.

With butterflies and dragonflies it is similar. Go for a longer lens and you will not be hand-holding it so you will need a monopod at least. I use a monopod sometimes but actually the IS of the 100mm is good enough most of the time and you can boost ISO to give extra speed or depth of field.

Go for the longer lens and two other problems arise. First, vegetation gets in the way even more than it does with the 100mm, and second, even with an unobstructed view, the further away you are the less you are looking down on the dorsal surface and the more you are looking edge-on to the butterfly, so you can't get a decent view of the upper surface. Well, you might say this can help get pics of the undersurface of blues and fritillaries but crouch down a bit to do this and there is even more vegetation in the way.

Sorry, Jerry there is no quick fix, and the only way is to learn how to stalk closer.

Lee

As Lee has already said you have already got the best lens IMO. Its also great for all sorts of insects. You can always crop a bit if needs be as its a remarkably sharp lens.
All the attached were taken with the 100/2.8 L IS macro and all cropped to some degree.

Attachments

• AI red admiral 01 PN lab Edit1.jpg
    AI red admiral 01 PN lab Edit1.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 43
  • AI peacock PN01 lab-Edit1.jpeg
    AI peacock PN01 lab-Edit1.jpeg
    829.2 KB · Views: 46
  • AI orage tip edit 1.jpg
    AI orage tip edit 1.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 44
  • dragonfly1-1-1-1-Edit.jpeg
    dragonfly1-1-1-1-Edit.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 52
  • small tortoiseshell P01 N.jpg
    small tortoiseshell P01 N.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 47
Jerry, another option for more working distance could be the 100-400 MkII as it has a MFD of around 3 feet at 400mm. Not as sharp or detailed as the 100 macro but not to bad.
Attached Darter was taken with the 100-400 at 400mm. The Dandylion clock was taken with the 100-400 + 1.4x tc giving 560mm - both handheld.

Attachments

• darter at 400mm 01PN lab-Edit.jpg
    darter at 400mm 01PN lab-Edit.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 48
  • dandylion with tc 01PN lab 560mm-1-1-Edit.jpeg
    dandylion with tc 01PN lab 560mm-1-1-Edit.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Jerry

Trying to solve this problem with longer lenses is the same as trying to solve birding problems with more magnification. You have 8x binos so swap them for 10x because some detail and image size is always out of reach, but even with the 10x there are still subjects that are too small, so you go to 15x binos, then scopes, but always there is a bird out of reach.

With butterflies and dragonflies it is similar. Go for a longer lens and you will not be hand-holding it so you will need a monopod at least. I use a monopod sometimes but actually the IS of the 100mm is good enough most of the time and you can boost ISO to give extra speed or depth of field.

Go for the longer lens and two other problems arise. First, vegetation gets in the way even more than it does with the 100mm, and second, even with an unobstructed view, the further away you are the less you are looking down on the dorsal surface and the more you are looking edge-on to the butterfly, so you can't get a decent view of the upper surface. Well, you might say this can help get pics of the undersurface of blues and fritillaries but crouch down a bit to do this and there is even more vegetation in the way.

Sorry, Jerry there is no quick fix, and the only way is to learn how to stalk closer.

Lee

Many thanks Lee, that helps a lot mate ! I am happy with what i have now 👍

As Lee has already said you have already got the best lens IMO. Its also great for all sorts of insects. You can always crop a bit if needs be as its a remarkably sharp lens.
All the attached were taken with the 100/2.8 L IS macro and all cropped to some degree.

Lovely! Thank you 👍

Jerry, another option for more working distance could be the 100-400 MkII as it has a MFD of around 3 feet at 400mm. Not as sharp or detailed as the 100 macro but not to bad.
Attached Darter was taken with the 100-400 at 400mm. The Dandylion clock was taken with the 100-400 + 1.4x tc giving 560mm - both handheld.

That is pretty good , especially at 560 mm. But i am going to get great at stalking 👍👍

Jerrythesnake,
The Canon EF 70-200 1:4L zoom is also pretty good for close-ups and with a macroring one can ever come closer. I have used it lot for all round photography, it is an excellent lens. The newer ones also have Image Stabilisation, but I never needed it.
Gijs van Ginkel

The best Canon lens is the Canon 180 F3.5 Macro. It is super sharp and takes superb images. If must be used with a tripod.

The second best lens is the 100 2.8 is Macro. This also takes superb images but not quiet as good as the 180.

The 100 is portable which means you can carry it round all day.

Have owned both lens. If you are happy to sit and wait for your subject to come to you then go for the 180. If instead you prefer to walk around looking for picture opportunities go for the 100.

Jerry

Some of my favorite nature photography memories are the macro. One park of getting close enough is learning how to stay calm among the insects, including butterflies.

For example, blues, hairstreaks and coppers tend to be very receptive to having a lens even as close a two inches away from them (including using a tripod) as long as you approach slowly and once near, continue to stay calm and move slow.

Metalmarks and skippers same

A few brushfoots stay calm around humans, many do not.

Whites and yellows along with swallowtails tend to be jumpy and nervous with a camera lens two inches.

I've also successfully used the calm and slow macro technique for dragonflies, wasps, flies etc.

I even used it successfully on a garter snake. Laid down on a dirt road, crept up and had the lens two inches away from its face (don't try this at home). I joke that I have "sneaking up on snakes" on the resume.

Practice makes perfect and it's also a great way to discover a person's inner calmness.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back