• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

BWP app (1 Viewer)

tbcash80

Hi

Would be interested in whether anyone has invested £35 and feel it was money well spent. Or not?

Particularly the linked sound and video. Are these of a good quality?

Many thanks

TBC

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
I have invested, shortly after it came out, but not extensively looked through it yet - I mainly invested as there is a lot of extra blurb and additional species to the Collins app, both link to each other opening the species up in the other. I saw it as extra reading to Collins which I already loved.

At least some, maybe all? videos are repeats of the Collins, so they are quite nice. The voices I believe may be at least in part or all new?

It is a work in progress that they will add to, and as I have always been intrigued by the paper set, but not the space required to store them, it was a no brainer for me to get it in my collection. Also a lot cheaper.

There are a couple of things still out of date but these are clearly stated before you buy, i.e. distribution and population, but I dare say these may be updated over time if they get enough people buying it making it worthwhile.

I would sum up if you want to add some further detail to Collins, and add some further species, they do work nicely and complement each other - Collins is a must, but BWP is the icing to what I now consider a set.

etudiant

Supporter
As before with the Collins Guide, this is an exclusive to Apple, not offered on Android.
The 90% of the market which is not part of the Apple domain remains untapped.

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
As before with the Collins Guide, this is an exclusive to Apple, not offered on Android.
The 90% of the market which is not part of the Apple domain remains untapped.

Yes, although Collins is now on Android (I refuse to have an iPhone, but love my iPads) - I have both Collins and BWP on my iPads, but only carry an Android phone in the field. Starting to get a really good collection of books on my Android phone (and iPads) now:

Collins Bird Guide (app) - only bought videos on iPad, unfortunately can’t share to my Android phone :-C and I won’t buy them twice! App on my phone is a must though!
Gulls of Europe, Asia and N. America - Olsen and Larsson (pdf)
Gulls of the World - Olsen (pdf)
Waders of Europe, Asia & N. America - Message and Taylor (pdf)
Britain’s Birds - Wild Guides (Kindle)

Also Britain’s Dragonflies (and awaiting Butterflies fourth edition) (both Kindle)

And of course BWP app on my iPads as mentioned. The only book I have not got on both is BWP, but I can live with that.

I think it is great having such good reference material in my pocket - just need Covid to go away and I can get back to using them properly.

....will also say these books are beautiful (more especially the app and pdf ones) with the ability to zoom in and out :t:

Users who are viewing this thread