• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CA Bay Area bird ID (1 Viewer)

MattT

Hi all, I have a bird ID

first, I sincerely apologize that there is no photo to go along with my question :( but I hope my description can be thorough enough.

I hike a lot in the chaparral in California's Bay Area, specifically the Santa Cruz Mountains. There is one type of bird that really tends to hang out near trails, in the grass or on the lower branches of the shrubs. And they are virtually invisible, and then when you get near them, they all lift and fly away in unison, and it creates a loud whir that really startles you when hiking. Not the quails, which can do this too -- a much smaller bird that tends to hang out in larger groups of 4 to 10. Any idea which I'm talking about?

I've looked at some chaparral bird lists, and most of the small ones seem to fall under the wren category. Does this sound a wren? Or am I describing a gnatcatcher? Or am I literally describing all the small chaparral birds, haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back