• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cackling Goose variation, Toronto, CA (1 Viewer)

mordovarot

Among 5 Cackling Geese was one much paler then the others (nicely seen at the second picture). It this a color variation or a different subspecies?
Thanks,
Viktor

Attachments

• 20201210-IMG_8383.jpg
    20201210-IMG_8383.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201210-IMG_8386.jpg
    20201210-IMG_8386.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201210-IMG_8387.jpg
    20201210-IMG_8387.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 40

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Yes, this pale individual look larger then others.
I’ll take your word for it that it appeared larger in the field - it’s certainly smaller than the Canadas but I can’t see it at all in image 3 - just some darker cackling and Canadas. I’m assuming it’s on the far right in image 1 ? but impossible to judge size from that. Were you using a telephoto?

Taverner’s are difficult to separate from Lesser Canada Geese btw although your bird does have a steep forehead and appropriately stubby bill.

I don’t think you will get a definitive ID here - I can only make a suggestion/educated guess!

Last edited:

mordovarot

Thank a lot for your help! Yes, this bird is only on photos 1 and 2. And it kept with the group of other Cackling Geese. They were among a huge group of Canada Geese resting on the lake, I would say 3 - 5 thousand. Anyway, thank you for guessing and educating :)

birdmeister

United States
Richardson's Cacklers vary quite a bit in color as well, with some birds having a darker chest and some being quite frosty overall. The status of Taverner's in the East is very poorly known, but I think they are thought to wander less than Richardson's.

Users who are viewing this thread