• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cackling or Lesser Canada Goose? (1 Viewer)

esrpiano

Hi everyone!

I took these pictures today and can't tell if the little guy in the middle of the first picture is a Cackling Goose or not. Please help! :)

Attachments

• DSCN0087 Small.jpg
    DSCN0087 Small.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0091 Small.jpg
    DSCN0091 Small.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 44
I assume you mean the middle right bird in the first image? Anyhow, I would be fairly confident in saying that the bird is a Cackling Goose. Here are pro-Cackling features:

shorter neck than surrounding Canadas

thinner legs (direct comparison in image 1 with a Canada in the same posture)

rounder head, steeper forehead

small, short bill

paler plumage overall

hint of neck collar (can be absent in Cackling, too)

The bird in the very center of image 1 (facing us) could be smaller than the average Canada, but doesn't really tick other boxes. The legs look thin, but I feel that is due to its position.

I think the "Lesser" Canada Goose situation is somewhat murky. I don't like to assign birds to that taxon very much.

I agree mostly with birdmeister, but completely about the bird he ID'ed as a Cackler. The other beast's bill is too long for Cackler and the possibility of it being a Lesser is reasonable, though a hybrid might be another possibility. Of course, it would be really nice to know where the photos were taken (as requested here).

Thanks very much birdmeister and TLeukering for the very detailed and helpful ID assistance as well as forum reminder! I took these pictures last Saturday (1.12.19) morning at Burnham Harbor in downtown Chicago.

Many thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back