• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CactusD's List 2010 (1 Viewer)

Back from the trip, but still more birding to be done!
Looking around the local blogs for info, I decided that a trip to Farmoor this afternoon - after a long absence - might pick up some migrants. On my way back from the hide and causeway, where I had a pair of linnets and a couple of white wagtails among the pieds, other birders pointed me in the direction of the water treatment works for Yellow Wagtails. There were about five or six, I reckon, busy eating the truly massive mosquitos :eek!:. Got one or two pics. Also picked up my first Swallow of the year.

Hence:
106. Barn Swallow
107. Yellow Wagtail (flavissima)

Attachments

• YellowWagFlavissima copy.jpg
    YellowWagFlavissima copy.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 52
  • YellowWagFlavissima1 copy.jpg
    YellowWagFlavissima1 copy.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 69
  • YellowWagFlavissima2 copy.jpg
    YellowWagFlavissima2 copy.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 73
A trip to the local Grimsbury Reservoir this afternoon picked up another Yellow Wag, a couple more White Wags, hirundines in the form of House Martins, Sand Martins, and Swallows, a single Common Sandpiper; a Willow Warbler was heard but not seen. Hence a couple more ticks:

[Willow Warbler H]
108. House Martin
109. Common Sandpiper

And a brief trip to Otmoor this afternoon with Maenad, baby, and pram picked up Little Egret. Also great views of nesting Lapwings mobbing a Red Kite.

110. Little Egret

A trip to Brandon Marsh this afternoon picked up a couple more birds (since I've only been a birder for a couple of years, both UK ticks for me - seen previously only in Sweden and/or Cyprus):

111. Little Ringed Plover
112. Green Sandpiper

Had a nice couple of hours at Brandon Marsh this afternoon while mum was out with baby. Main aim was to get a sighting or shot of the reported Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. I had a fleeting view of a female bird flying past, then heard a bird calling later in the afternoon on my way back. No shots unfortunately, but it looks like another visit should be necessary before the leaves come on the trees. Also, I did manage a few shots of one or two of the other birds, inc. a couple of Little Ringed Plovers.

113. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Attachments

• LRPs copy.jpg
    LRPs copy.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 50
  • RP copy.jpg
    RP copy.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 72
  • WhiteWag copy.jpg
    WhiteWag copy.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 64
  • GCGrebeBM1 copy.jpg
    GCGrebeBM1 copy.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 56
  • SnipeBM copy.jpg
    SnipeBM copy.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Report of Avocet at Brandon Marsh took us there for a couple of hours this afternoon to pick up a lifer. Asleep, and then awake, on the mud in the centre of East Marsh Pool. Also finally had Willow Warbler!

114. Willow Warbler
115. AVOCET

A couple of record shots below:

Attachments

• Avocet copy.jpg
    Avocet copy.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Avocet1 copy.jpg
    Avocet1 copy.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 52
A short visit to Otmoor later yesterday afternoon brought me three more ticks. A Cetti's Warbler erupted from a bush in front of me and then flew into another thicket, so I didn't have to wait for a couple of hours trying to locate one. Sedge Warblers were bursting out in song from the reeds along the path, though it took quite a while to find one. And Whitethroats were calling and chasing each other about in the Blackthorn along the path from the carpark. A few record shots of what was about below.

116. Sedge Warbler
117. Cetti's Warbler
118. Common Whitethroat

Attachments

• LittleEgretOM copy.jpg
    LittleEgretOM copy.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 56
  • WhitethroatOM1 copy.jpg
    WhitethroatOM1 copy.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 57
  • RedKiteOM copy.jpg
    RedKiteOM copy.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 53
  • StockDoveOM copy.jpg
    StockDoveOM copy.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 42
  • ReedBuntingOM1 copy.jpg
    ReedBuntingOM1 copy.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 48
I was in Oxford this morning, so a quick trip to Port Meadow to pick up the Godwits was in order. Four birds obliged, in beautiful summer plumage, and there was a bonus in the form of a pair of Common Terns perched on some mud. Other things about on the meadow were Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon, Grey Heron, Lapwing, Oystercatcher (2), Shelduck (1). Hence:

119. Black-Tailed Godwit
120. Common Tern

A few lousy phone-scoped pics below:

Attachments

• GodwitsPM.jpg
    GodwitsPM.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 54
  • GodwitsPM1.jpg
    GodwitsPM1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 49
  • CommonTernsPM.jpg
    CommonTernsPM.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 54
A late afternoon visit to Otmoor in search of warblers didn't produce any new ticks - though I did hear Grasshopper Warblers and a Cuckoo:

Grasshopper Warbler H
Cuckoo H

-

but I did get a few decent shots of a few of the smaller residents! :t: Some shots below:

Attachments

• ChiffchaffOM copy_1.jpg
    ChiffchaffOM copy_1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 52
  • WhitethroatOM2 copy_1.jpg
    WhitethroatOM2 copy_1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 44
  • WillowWarblerOM copy.jpg
    WillowWarblerOM copy.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
  • WhitethroatOM3 copy_1.jpg
    WhitethroatOM3 copy_1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Yellowhammersong copy.jpg
    Yellowhammersong copy.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 52
Managed to fit in a relatively quick visit to Otmoor in this afternoon - weather forecast for weekend not great, and we have visitors in any case. Good decision, since we managed some sun and blue sky as well as heavy cloud and some showers.
We also managed some great birds, including lifer for me with Turtle Dove - a bird I had been unlucky to miss out on last year. Warblers were tricky to locate because of the wind, but we also managed to find some Reed Warblers. Lots of hirundines about, including Swifts. No sign of Hobby or Cuckoo unfortunately, but we'll be back soon no doubt.

121. Common Swift
122. Reed Warbler
123. TURTLE DOVE

Quite pleased with the pics I got since conditions were hit and miss:

Attachments

• TurtleDoveOM2 copy.jpg
    TurtleDoveOM2 copy.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 50
  • YellowhammerOM3 copy.jpg
    YellowhammerOM3 copy.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 60
  • GSWoodpeckerOM copy.jpg
    GSWoodpeckerOM copy.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 49
  • PheasantHeadCloseupOM copy.jpg
    PheasantHeadCloseupOM copy.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Apologies for the lack of activity recently: work has been getting in the way.
However, I did manage to get a couple of visits in to get some more birds. Went to Aston Rowant last week for Red Kite photos, and Otmoor yesterday to get Hobby and Marsh Harrier. Trying to get decent pics of Hobby in flight with 600mm+1.4x teleconverter on a 1.5x crop body (D300) is very tricky because of narrow field of view, but I did get one shot I'm happy with! I need more practice...

124. Hobby
125. Marsh Harrier

Will post one or two more shots later.

Attachments

• RedKiteAR11 copy_4.jpg
    RedKiteAR11 copy_4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 59
  • HobbyOM1 copy.jpg
    HobbyOM1 copy.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 60
Some more shots from yesterday:
Is that the remains of a Lapwing chick I see in the Kite's talons, I wonder?

Attachments

• LittleEgretOM1 copy.jpg
    LittleEgretOM1 copy.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 53
  • SedgeWarblerOM1 copy.jpg
    SedgeWarblerOM1 copy.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 52
  • MarshHarrierOM copy.jpg
    MarshHarrierOM copy.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
  • RedKiteOM3 copy.jpg
    RedKiteOM3 copy.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 64
Had a nice hour yesterday at Boddington Res. taking shots of the Great Crested Grebes. Nothing much else about apart from a couple of Common Terns. More of a photography trip for me than a list-ticking exercise, anyhow; hopefully the results speak for themselves!

Attachments

• GCGrebePairBR1000 copy.jpg
    GCGrebePairBR1000 copy.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 51
  • GCGrebePairBR1 copy.jpg
    GCGrebePairBR1 copy.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 53
A sunny Otmoor today produced a lifer in the form of a very distant Spoonbill, and the new scrapes by the new hide seem to be coming up trumps with some more waders - my first LRPlover at Otmoor, and reports of Greenshank and Black-Tailed Godwit (though I didn't see these). Managed to pish a Reed Warbler, and though I got close views and shots, these were somewhat obscured, as you may observe below! Also heard Cuckoo and Grasshopper Warbler, but I haven't seen these yet this year.

126. SPOONBILL
[Cuckoo H]
[Grasshopper Warbler H]

Attachments

• CootOM copy.jpg
    CootOM copy.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 60
  • ReedWarblerOM copy_1.jpg
    ReedWarblerOM copy_1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 61
  • SpoonbillOM copy.jpg
    SpoonbillOM copy.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 67
Nothing new to post, but I've just been playing in the back garden with my new little photographic toys, a flash bracket and flash extender. I also got myself a bag hide - sort of a camouflaged old-fashioned photographer's cape/cover, to cover me and my tripod while out shooting. My wife thinks this looks particularly hilarious! :-O :frog: (always wanted to use this smiley!)
Anyway, a few shots below of the common garden birds round about, all with fill-flash except the sparrow, at various settings to experiment according to light and distance. Definitely helped with shots 1 and 4 - 1 taken in shade against the light, with 4 makes the pigeon 'pop' that little bit more - but not so much with the other two.

All I need now is some decent exciting birds to take pics of! ;)

Attachments

• BlackbirdfWE copy_3.jpg
    BlackbirdfWE copy_3.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 53
  • SparrowfWE1 copy.jpg
    SparrowfWE1 copy.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 53
  • CollaredDoveWE copy.jpg
    CollaredDoveWE copy.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 52
  • WoodPigeonWE1 copy.jpg
    WoodPigeonWE1 copy.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 43
  • StarlingWE copy.jpg
    StarlingWE copy.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Still nothing new, but I thought I'd share some more Reed Warbler photos from Otmoor :king:

Attachments

• ReedWarblerOM4 copy.jpg
    ReedWarblerOM4 copy.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 55
  • ReedWarblerOM3 copy.jpg
    ReedWarblerOM3 copy.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 49
Corn Buntings

With a spare couple of hours this afternoon I decided on an extended patch walk without the camera gear, to see if I could relocate last year's Corn Buntings. Came up trumps with one seen and a couple heard, plus a pair of Reed Buntings and lots of Yellowhammers, so all three regular Bunting species; three Yellow Wagtails and some very good close views of perched Skylark rounded off a nice farmland set.
Also had a bonus in the form of Common Sandpiper which I flushed from some canal workings. |=)|

127. Corn Bunting

A nice trip to Otmoor picked up Garden Warbler in good numbers - funny that I hadn't seen any yet this year, then four or five come along at once. Three or four Dunlins were on the scrape with a couple of Ringed Plovers and a Redshank; five or six Little Egrets too. Managed a couple of shots of the warblers. Also a Common Blue butterfly posed briefly for a photo.

128. Garden Warbler

Attachments

• GardenWarblerOM copy.jpg
    GardenWarblerOM copy.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 54
  • GardenWarblerOM1 copy.jpg
    GardenWarblerOM1 copy.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 49
  • WhitethroatOM6 copy.jpg
    WhitethroatOM6 copy.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 54
  • BlueButterflyOM copy.jpg
    BlueButterflyOM copy.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Went back to the Corn Buntings location this afternoon (barley fields down public footpath behind Bannatyne's Health Club in Bodicote, for anyone local); I thought the rain had stopped. If you see the pic below, you'll see that it hadn't... :-O
This one appeared along the track only about 5 mins walk along from the road: as usual, heard it before I saw it. Not the best shot, but my mind was partly on not getting the gear too wet; would have got more if the rain had eased, but sadly it didn't.
On my way along, also saw a pair of Red-legged Partridges, which is new for the local patch, so I think that calls for a patch list update, which I'll post later.
Cheers for reading!
D:t:

Attachments

• CornBunting copy.jpg
    CornBunting copy.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 60
Patch List Update

Here's a complete list of the species I've seen (or heard) in the local area (fields and canalside around Bodicote/south side of Banbury; not including Grimsbury Reservoir), over the last two years. It's quite well worked by the local dog-walking fraternity and a little underwatched now that I have a car, so I'm quite pleased with this total:

1) Cormorant
2) Grey Heron
3) Mute Swan
4) Mallard
5) Common Buzzard
6) Sparrowhawk
7) Common Kestrel
8) Pheasant
9) Moorhen
10) Lapwing
11) Common Snipe
12) Black-headed Gull