• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Bay Area - Hawk id (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I need help with the ID of a hawk, or perhaps an owl, even if the latter is unlikely.
I saw it as sunset in the hills of the South Bay, and it was already dark. It was flying with a prey in its beak, and I remember the large bird, the brown feathers, and the distinct and very white rim of the feathers on the wings. In fact, it seemed as if the wings as seen from above had a double white rim of feathers: one outer rim, perhaps half an inch in length, then inside half an inch of brown, and inside still, another thin rim of white. The rest of the bird was brown.
I donโ€™t have a photo, it was too dark. My best guess is a red tailed hawk, but I am perplexed by the white rims. What else could it have been?

distinct and very white rim of the feathers on the wings. In fact, it seemed as if the wings as seen from above had a double white rim of feathers: one outer rim, perhaps half an inch in length, then inside half an inch of brown, and inside still, another thin rim of white. The rest of the bird was brown.
Sounds like a reasonable jizz description of RSHA imo - the black and white barring on the secondaries and primaries is very prominent.

Thanks Deb... and btw I know my message was a little bit ridiculously vague... but the reply helps. Barring, is the term -- yes that's exactly what it was, and it was very clear, almost fluorescent in the dying light of the day (as seen with binoculars).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back