• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California birds ID (1 Viewer)

YuShan

United Kingdom
In the last 5 months I have hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada. Of course I brought my binoculars. I don't live in the USA so my experience with American birds is somewhat limited. I need help with the ID of some of the birds that I have seen (see attachments).

1) This hawk was in the thermals in Southern California (May 12th 2018) together with a Red-tailed Hawk. To me it looks like a Broad-winged hawk, but I thought that is more a bird of the east, not a California bird? What else could it be?

Link to location map

2) This flycatcher was in Angeles Forest at about 8900ft elevation (May 17th 2018). Habitat was steep slopes with pine trees here and there and no undergrowth. My guess was that it may be a Hammond's Flycatcher (based on elevation and habitat) but it could also be Dusky or something else?

Link to location map

3) This hummingbird was at 7400ft elevation in Northern California. Habitat was mountain meadows and scrub. Date: July 9th. There were also many female (or juvenile) Rufous Hummingbirds in the area. I think the bird in the picture might be a female Anna's Hummingbird, or could it possibly be a female Calliope Hummingbird?

Link to location map

4) This picture was actually in Oregon but I post it here anyway. I thought this duck maybe a female Barrow's Goldeneye, or is it a Common Goldeneye? Date is Aug 15th.

Link to location map

I hope you guys can help me with ID!

Attachments

• Hawk1.JPG
    Hawk1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Flycatcher3.jpg
    Flycatcher3.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Hummingbird2.jpg
    Hummingbird2.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Goldeneye2.jpg
    Goldeneye2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 42
What about one of the Black-hawks for #1? I'm not familiar with the different species, but it sure doesn't look like Zone-tailed to me. Would any Black-hawk be rare in California?

What about one of the Black-hawks for #1? I'm not familiar with the different species, but it sure doesn't look like Zone-tailed to me. Would any Black-hawk be rare in California?

Yes. Common Black-Hawk is the normal USA species though it is not as rare in California as I initially thought (https://californiabirds.org/queryDatabase.asp?partial=on&species=Common+Black+Hawk). But it is a review species for the state. I can convince myself that I see the outer wing-pattern of Zone-tailed, though I certainly and initially see features of Common Black-Hawk.

There is 1 set of eBird locations for Com. BH in California this year, a bird that was north of San Francisco near Santa Rosa. Nothing this year in southern California.

Last edited:
CBHa certainly is what I am reminded of, does not remind of the shape of a Zone-tailed.

Niels

Two observations in favor of GBH: white tip of tail and yellow feet reaching into the white band on the tail - at least according to my Sibley app

Niels

Two observations in favor of GBH: white tip of tail and yellow feet reaching into the white band on the tail - at least according to my Sibley app

Niels

Did you mean CBH not Gbh? GBH is not in the sibley app unless they are holding out on me with updates because I can’t update my app. Also the leg length is supportive of CBH (common black hawk) instead of GBH (great black hawk)

I also think it looks structurally like a black hawk but I’ve only seen zone-tailed one time.

Last edited:
Sorry, i must be stressed, common black hawk is what I am talking about

My notes say I have seen ztha 7 times in 5 countries- some observations was of more than 1 bird

Niels

1. Common Black Hawk. This is a mega-rarity and a California Bird Records Committee review species. Please submit the photo and any other details you may have here. The photo is diagnostic.
2. Dusky Flycatcher. This is a reasonably common breeder in the Southern California mountains. Hammond's Flycatcher is similar, but occurs there only as a migrant. Your bird is in heavy tail molt so probably not migrating. Otherwise you need voice to confirm.
3. Anna's Hummingbird. Other posible species have rufous or buff on the sides and flanks. Note the even width to all primaries eliminating Archilochus and diagnostic short greater coverts and dingy underparts eliminating Costa's. Anna's has been expanding its range and moves upslope in the summer after breeding.
4. Barrow's Goldeneye. All black bill suggests immature or eclipse male. Barrow's breeds in the area; Common does not. Common is very rare in Oregon in the Summer not normally arriving until late Fall. Barrow's would be the expected species at this location in August.

Thank you all for your help!

Regarding the hawk, I have submitted the sighting as suggested and just received a mail from the Secretary of the California Bird Records Committee that it is indeed a Common Black Hawk and apparently only the 3rd record for San Bernardino County and the 12th for California! Rarity indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back