• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California large flock over ocean (1 Viewer)

tui-time

United States
Hoping someone can help identify what these birds are. This video was taken from Redondo Beach in California on Dec 28th, 2021. Large flock of birds that appear to be going after schools of fish. There were hundreds of birds but unfortunately too far away to get any closeups. Sorry about background noise. It was windy. Thanks.

Attachments

• MAH01428 (1).m4v
    11.4 MB
Looks like a fascinating sight - sorry I cannot help you with bird ID. But were there also 2 dolphins at 15 seconds?

and welcome :)

Can't help specifically either, but yes, 2 smaller cetaceans in there. Also a darker bird left to right through the middle (Cormorant?), look like majority are small greyish white petrels, with some mid size black and white shearwaters and maybe a few larger dark shearwaters? With at least one grey and white bird diagonally middle right to bottom left at the end, and a black-backed, white-headed bird on the near left side on the sea, a gull? Something (a wader?) called too.

Look forward to hearing what is actually there or likely for that lot lol! And welcome to BF.

Just guesses really, based on what's likely to be about in mid-winter . . .
Big numerous blackish things whizzing about could be shearwaters - thus black-vented shearwater and/or short-tailed shearwater.
I guess the masses of smaller pale stuff low over/in the water are terns - if so, Forster's terns? - or possibly royal terns.
There are a few big dark-backed gulls wheeling around - presumably western gulls.
This needs a local hero's views.

The Shearwaters should be Black-vented. They are the expected shearwater this far south, and the only ones that are going to be in concentrations of this size anywhere along the California coast at this time of year. Due to the quality of the video, I can't see the gulls well, but it's usually safe to bet that they are Westerns being that size down in LA.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Can't help specifically either, but yes, 2 smaller cetaceans in there. Also a darker bird left to right through the middle (Cormorant?), look like majority are small greyish white petrels, with some mid size black and white shearwaters and maybe a few larger dark shearwaters? With at least one grey and white bird diagonally middle right to bottom left at the end, and a black-backed, white-headed bird on the near left side on the sea, a gull? Something (a wader?) called too.

Look forward to hearing what is actually there or likely for that lot lol! And welcome to BF.
Thanks very much. I thought it would be difficult to say with any certainty. And thanks for the welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back