• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California, Sierra (Tahoe) Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
Today I saw a woodpecker I cannot identify.
It was fairly small in size. It had the red patch on top of the head typical of many woodpeckers. The sides had black and white stripes, each stripe being about ... 1cm wide, perhaps.

On the back, there was a large black patch that covered the center of the back, and reached almost to the head. The black patch stopped below the neck; the neck was white, and the head black with the red splotch on top. The black patch had white around it, and the flanks were striped, as mentioned.

I consulted my guides, and the closest match is Nuttall's Woodpecker, but it striped in the back, it does not have that black patch on the back. The hairy or downy woodpeckers have a white, not a black, patch.

Do you have any suggestions? I remember the black patch quite distinctly... unfortunately I could not get my camera out in time, it stayed a short time on a tree and then flew away to more distant trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back