• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calyptura (1 Viewer)

I don't think that this paper has been published and, perhaps, not yet submitted. My husband, Frank Gill, reported that the presentation at the Brazil IOC meeting placed Calyptura as a basal Tyrannid provisionally related to Neopipo and Platyrinchus.

Sally Conyne

I don't think that this paper has been published and, perhaps, not yet submitted. My husband, Frank Gill, reported that the presentation at the Brazil IOC meeting placed Calyptura as a basal Tyrannid provisionally related to Neopipo and Platyrinchus.

Sally Conyne

Thanks a lot Sally!

Ohlson, J.I., Irestedt, M., Fjeldså, J. & Ericson, P.G.P. (in press) Putting an end to a mystery: DNA from a 180 years old study skin reveals the phylogenetic position of the Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata (Passeriformes: Tyrannides). Ibis.
The kinglet calyptura (Calyptura cristata) is one of the most enigmatic bird species in South America. It is known only from specimens collected in the 19th century and from a few recent sight records. The knowledge of its biology is scanty and its systematic position is highly obscure. Traditionally, C. cristata was placed in the Cotingidae, but associated with genera that are now known to fall outside Cotingidae. In an attempt to clarify its phylogenetic position, we extracted DNA from a 180 years old museum study skin and sequenced four nuclear loci for C. cristata and incorporated this into a comprehensive dataset of tyrant flycatchers, cotingas, manakins and allies. Our analyses show that C. cristata is most closely related to Platyrinchus and Neopipo and these three genera constitute a deep branch in the clade containing Rhynchocyclidae (tody-tyrants and flatbills) and Tyrannidae (typical tyrant flycatchers).
http://www.nrm.se/en/menu/researcha...blicationsbirds/abstracts.2947.html#Calyptura

So what is the status now of Rhynchocyclidae? I believe Moyle proposed it in a reclassification of flycatchers, but it doesn't seem like anyone really has bothered to follow that suggestion.

Ohlson et al 2012

Ohlson, J.I., Irestedt, M., Fjeldså, J. & Ericson, P.G.P. (in press) Putting an end to a mystery: DNA from a 180 years old study skin reveals the phylogenetic position of the Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata (Passeriformes: Tyrannides). Ibis.
Published today: Ibis 154(3): 533–541. [abstract]

They propose to put it in a family with Platyrinchus and Neopipo.

I am not sure breaking up the Tyrannidae in this way is a good idea, as it will lead to some tiny families.

They propose to put it in a family with Platyrinchus and Neopipo.

I am not sure breaking up the Tyrannidae in this way is a good idea, as it will lead to some tiny families.

Thanks for the information. Well, a subfamily Platyrinchinae within in the family Tyrannidae would be another alternative.

I am curious on the SACC proposal as the family Platyrinchidae was already created in 1854 but apparently never used in recent taxonomies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back