• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambodia Feb 2019, Pt. 1 - Angkor Wat environs (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

Just got back from a trip to Cambodia and Singapore and got a lot of quality bird watching done with at least 56 new lifers already identified. But I've also got a significant number of species which are either definitely or possibly new that I'm not familiar enough with the region to confirm the identities of. My Cambodia bird book is unfortunatly more of a beginners introduction than anything comprehensive and relying on my Thai book does give a starting point, but obviously not a substitute,

So apologies for the upcoming pile of threads, but homefully I'm going to be able to batch them up a bit by location. This first batch was seem around various temples at Angkor Wat and surroundings. Many, but not all I have other photos off, so should be able to provide those it necessary.

Thanks in advance!

So this first batch:
1: A drongo of some sort? Tail tip seems more rounded than most?
2. Ashy drongo?
3. Distinctive looking but not sure - a barbet sp. maybe?
4. Not really sure where to start? Prinia? Bulbul? Something else?
5. A flycatcher sp?

Attachments

• !C001 - Drongo sp..JPG
    !C001 - Drongo sp..JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 50
  • !C002B - ashy drongo.JPG
    !C002B - ashy drongo.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 36
  • !C003.JPG
    !C003.JPG
    516.6 KB · Views: 57
  • !C004.JPG
    !C004.JPG
    928.9 KB · Views: 46
  • !C005.JPG
    !C005.JPG
    982.9 KB · Views: 46
The rest of the Angkor birds:

6. ?
7. Certainly seemed to be a flycatcher of some sort.
8. Another ashy drongo?

Attachments

• !C002.JPG
    !C002.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 43
  • !C006.JPG
    !C006.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 39
  • !C007.jpg
    !C007.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 30
2 & 8 - agree with Ashy Drongo.
3. Looks like a Coppersmith Barbet.
7. Could be a Grey-headed Canary-flycatcher. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Sorry I'm not able to help with the others.

I think:

1. Hair-crested Drongo
2. Ashy Drongo
3. Coppersmith Barbet
4. Streak-eared Bulbul?
5. Possibly Asian Brown Flycatcher?
6. Ashy Minivet
7. Grey-headed Canary-flycatcher
8. Ashy Drongo

Thanks for the help! Seemed to jump in a bit at the deep end with drongos - had previously seen none and come back with 4!

Just to rebump this a bit for re-evaluating one of the options, discovered that Swinhoe's Minivet is a thing - is there a reason why #6 would be Ashy rather than Swinhoes?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back