• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire warbler maybe? (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
I think this is warbler on the banks of a ditch frequented by sedge and reed warblers and whitethroats. Don't think it is a sedge warbler or whitethroat. Sorry about the quality of the snaps

Thanks

Colin

IMG_6744.jpgIMG_6746.jpgIMG_6747.jpg

I agree with Butty about a very young Chiffchaff.
Such pale, lousy-plumaged birds with bright wings and bright bills arent easy to seperate from very young Willow Warblers (that can have a short pp with primaries still growing). There are some older threads, where I learned a lot. I assume, that early June is too early for a Willow Warbler, but in time for an relative early hatched Chiffchaff? Because date and blackish legs are the two features I use to eleminate a WW here, seeing a developing long and strong supercilium,.. Yes, thats within variation for a young Chiffchaff, and I see a developing eye-ring, good for Chiffchaff too.

I hope this doesnt come out as offense, as the bird has been correctly identified imo (thanks Butty!), I just wanted to say, that these young warblers arent as easy identified as older birds.

And because I have to admit, I wouldnt have written this, when the picture was taken in July. Iagree with Butty (and others), that date is helpful in the majority of the threads!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back