• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

DELACOWI

Wryneck at Polzeath again today (thank you Charles), video clip here. It was very elusive at times but then popped up on to a fence post close by whilst I was trying to spot it across the other side of the valley! Also 2 Wheatear, 3 Stonechat, 1 Whinchat, Godfinch, Linnet, Kestrel, Robin.

Last edited:

Max Shearwater

Juvenile Puffin

Watched a juv Puffin on the sea about 2 miles North of Mouls island yesterday. Didn't look like it could fly as it only scurried across the water surface.

Hopefully backs up earlier views of Puffins carrying sandeels to a burrow on Mouls.

Attachments

• Juv-puffin_ANL_3143.jpg
    Juv-puffin_ANL_3143.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 43
  • ANL_3151.jpg
    ANL_3151.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 39

DELACOWI

3 Med` Gulls at Polzeath feeding among the Black Headed Gulls today.
Commissioners Quay, Wadebridge this afternoon, c Redshank, 10 Black Tailed Godwits 4 Dunlin and a Curlew Sandpiper. Click on the highlighted names for video links.

Last edited:

Redwood21

A late trip up The Rumps this evening produced 1 Arctic Skua, half a dozen Gannets, several Wheatears and 1 Sparrowhawk.
Also of note were several Ocean Sunfish being attended to by Gulls, presumably to pick off parasites?

Conditions look good for Monday so hopefully there will be a few more passage sea-birds. Anyone else planning a Sea-watch on Monday?

All the best, Edward.

Redwood21

Spent several hours up The Rumps during today.
Sightings include 1 Artic Skua, 1 Great Skua, 200 or so Manx Shearwaters, 2 juvenile Peregrines harrassing a poor old Manx Shearwater very close to shore.
There was a very large movement of Gannets, I would guess about a hundred.

The highlight for me though was a beautiful Sooty Shearwater close in; just behind The Mouls. Cracking bird!

Edward.

Max Shearwater

Grey Partridge

I had a report yesterday from a farmer neighbouring Walmsley sanctuary of 4 Grey Partridge so keep your eyes peeled for them.

DELACOWI

Birds at Commissioner`s Quay, Wadebridge this afternoon included this Spotted Redshank, which was with 135 Redshank, Black Headed Gull feeding on a flatfish washed up in the `tidal bore`, 2 Black Tailed Godwits, a Sparrowhawk and this interesting Leucistic House Sparrow.
Guineaport / Treraven meadows birds included 6 Little Egret, 2 Common Sandpiper, 1 Greenshank, 1 Curlew, 1 Kingfisher, 53 Teal, Siskins over, large flock of Canada Geese, Black Headed and Herring Gulls.

Last edited:

Qingcol

Great & interesting videos Will. This might sound slightly familiar living in the area, in spite of that however, I was walking across the field to the Walmsley Tower Hide around mid-day and heard overhead, what I thought was a Spotted Redshank, the call a clear "che-wit" I didn't see the bird. (or was it a SPP)

DELACOWI

Hi Colin, glad you enjoyed the videos. I wasn`t able to upload HD video last year when I took some video of a Spotted Redshank in Summer plumage in at the same site (could it be the same bird??). I thought now would be a good time to add it for comparison with this lovely Winter plumage bird. If anyone wants to take a look for interest its on my mrwdlc youtube site.
One more unusual bird for the upper stretch of the river today was a Guillemot swimming up past Trevilling Quay on the evening tide. I was on the wrong side of the river to film it.

Last edited:

DELACOWI

Birds at Davidstow yesterday included Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint, 2 Ruff, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, White and Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Wheatear, Linnet, Goldfinch.
Guineaport - 2 Greenshank, 2 Redshank, 1 Kingfisher, Cormorant, Curlew.
20+ Sandwich Terns on the estuary late evening.

DELACOWI

Between Wadebridge and Camel Quarry this morning, birds included 2 Kingfishers (together), Redshank, Greenshank, several Whimbrel, Curlew, 12+ Med` Gulls, Peregrine Falcon, Sandwich Terns, B.H. Gulls, 3 Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Little Egret, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Shag, 2 Ravens.

camelbirder

Today's sightings have been uploaded at the Camel Estuary Wildlife Website highlights include single Ring-bill, Little and Yellow-legged Gulls, and much more..

Qingcol

Anthus sp. Camel Estuary

I was first attracted to this Pipit by its small size (no larger than a Meadow Pipit) plus its base colour, that contrasted so obviously with all the ‘littoralis’ in its company, especially at this time of year. Grey-green virtually un-streaked upper-parts, the bill was shorter and finer than ‘littoralis’, the eye-ring intermediate between Rock and Meadow, the rear flanks much cleaner than any ‘petrosus’ around and most of the ‘littoralis’, immediately behind the bill the lores were pale, though with a confusingly dark patch under and slightly forward of the eye. The bird was in a difficult and dangerous spot near the top of sea cliffs resulting in few usable images, my priority at the time, to hang on to myself and the camera, though the bird could easily be picked out intermittently that day and the next at a distance near the base of the cliffs. At the time and now I have always thought of it, on balance of characteristics, as a ‘probable’ Buff-Bellied (rubescens) my nearest match. A friend convinced that, from the description plus the images it was (rubescens) posted just the images on his website, to be immediately re-identified 'only from the images' as a ‘Rock Pipit’ by a well known rare bird news service, I understand that most of their paying members are not even remotely interested in hybrids or intermediates, nevertheless I consider this practice of unaccountable assessing of, sometimes a single image, then defaulting to the most likely tick-able artificial made species box, taking no account of, or seeking any observer notes, will only serve to discourage many from reporting ‘anything’ unless in possession of numerous high quality images of a classic individual, in fact I already know several good birders who do just that. The practice is probably fine for Red-Billed Tropic bird versus Gannet, when it comes to difficult groups like Wheatears and Pipits it suppresses healthy debate, not helped by all the lesser local bird news services immediately defaulting to the same conclusions.
Colin

Attachments

• IMG_9340.jpg
    IMG_9340.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9343.jpg
    IMG_9343.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 74

Qingcol

Immature (European) Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) they do occur with yellow legs and feet! this individual at Rumps Point this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 42

Qingcol

Razorbill at Rumps Point. 27 10 2013. Two SSP. islandica and one (rear individual) nominate SSP. torda.

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 31

Qingcol

Mr Les Fletcher of Wadebridge.

I’m sorry to have to announce the very sad news of the death last evening, following a long brave battle against cancer, of Mr Les Fletcher of Wadebridge, one half of a well known and respected local bird-watching couple, often seen together on the Camel Trail, Davidstow Airfield and Trevose. Head. At the moment our thoughts are with his wife Dorothy. I’m sure that I speak for all reasonable people in saying that his particular birding style, good humour and obvious dedication to Dorothy will be very much missed in this neck of the woods.

Qingcol

A Grey Seal with lesser Octopus Rumps Point 27 10 2013. Leatherback Sea Turtle Rumps Point 29 10 2013. 1st winter Surf Scoter Rumps Point 03 11 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 43

gonvena

I’m sorry to have to announce the very sad news of the death last evening, following a long brave battle against cancer, of Mr Les Fletcher of Wadebridge, one half of a well known and respected local bird-watching couple, often seen together on the Camel Trail, Davidstow Airfield and Trevose. Head. At the moment our thoughts are with his wife Dorothy. I’m sure that I speak for all reasonable people in saying that his particular birding style, good humour and obvious dedication to Dorothy will be very much missed in this neck of the woods.

Very sorry to hear the sad news of Les's death. A real character and has left many good memories of himself and Dorothy. Two genuine people who enjoyed watching birds. Nice sentiments Colin I am sure he will be missed and indeed, thoughts are with you Dorothy.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread