• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Some great shots there Edward. It's a place I've favoured lately for waders but have failed to see any dolphins.
Catch my pics on my blog at http://www.images-naturally.co.uk

Adrian.

Just an update: went back to Trebetherick Point this afternoon to watch the dolphins again and had extraordinary views of them jumping clear of the water (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6186072768/in/photostream/.

Also saw several species of wader on the rocks, which I need some help in identifying. I think there were Sanderling and Dunlin (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6185551145/in/photostream) and one Ruff (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6185553269/in/photostream) but I'm not 100%

What do you guys think?

Cheers guys, Edward.

Ah yes I thought it looked too small to be a Ruff but wasn't sure so thanks for the help.

Lovely pictures Adrian, what equipment do you use?

It does seem a great spot for waders and I've got half an eye open for purple sandpipers; has anyone seem them there before?

The dolphins really are spectacular. I've been coming down to trebetherick for years with the family and although we very occasionally see dolphins we've never had anything like this. A pod seems to be frequenting the area and has been for a couple of months from what I hear so fingers crossed for more sightings.

Hopefully we'll go out on the Jubilee Queen and get lucky.

Cheers, Edward.

Last edited:
Just an update: went back to Trebetherick Point this afternoon to watch the dolphins again and had extraordinary views of them jumping clear of the water (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6186072768/in/photostream/.

Also saw several species of wader on the rocks, which I need some help in identifying. I think there were Sanderling and Dunlin (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6185551145/in/photostream) and one Ruff (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/6185553269/in/photostream) but I'm not 100%

What do you guys think?

Cheers guys, Edward.

Hi Edward,

The rocks off Trebetherick Point are an important roosting area for wading birds, with large numbers sometimes present. Did you count the birds that were present?
The area holds peak counts in mid-winter with large numbers of Dunlin, Oystercatcher and ringed Plover often recorded. Purple sandpipers are also occasionally present.

Hopefully we'll go out on the Jubilee Queen and get lucky.

Cheers, Edward.

Went out on the Jubilee Queen today and saw the pod close up for about half an hour - they came up and rode the bow wave - Skipper was very respectful of them while giving us the best chance of viewing them.
At time to return to Padstow he raced away from them hoping they would follow into the estuary but they didn't so presumably they will still be there tomorrow.

I was on the Jubilee Queen as well yesterday. I've been going out on that boat for about twenty years on holidays and thats the first time I've ever seen Dolphins.
What an experience; just as Chris describes. Truly wonderful to see them that close and bow riding.
Tried to get some photos but to no avail. Amazingly they were actually too close at times for my camera to focus.

All the best, Edward.

The colour ringed Greenshank (ringed 13 Aug 2006 Ythan Estuary) still at Amble Marshes this morning with 22 Greenshank (photo) plus 1 Common Redshank, 8 Black-Tailed Godwit, 3 Northern Lapwing and 2 Common Snipe.
Dragonflies included 5+ Migrant Hawker at Amble Marshes with one at Dinham Flats and one at Wadebridge.

Attachments

• IMG_8460.JPG
    IMG_8460.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi guys, watching the waders at Trebetherick Point this evening saw Sanderling (10+), Ringed Plover (20+), Dunlin (30+) and Knot (3).
Also several Rock Pipits.

All the best, Edward.

This afternoon on the estuary between Wadebridge and Tregunna the following were noted;
2 Little Grebe, 5 Cormorant, 15 Little Egret, 5 Grey Heron, 47 Mute Swan, 2 Black Swan, 1 Feral Goose, 69 Canada Goose, 4 male Wigeon, 58 Mallard, 22 Teal, 8 Oystercatcher, 2 Lapwing, 1 Ruff, 1 Dunlin, 10 Black-tailed Godwit, 33 Bar-tailed Godwit, 348 Curlew, 5 Whimbrel, 1 Spotted Redshank, 163 Redshank, 6 Buzzard, 2 Peregrine, 512 Black-headed Gull, and 62 Herring Gull.

The Wednesday Bird Walk Group noted the following on the estuary between Wadebridge and Camel Quarry;
28 Bar Tailed Godwit, 3 Blackbird, 325 Black Headed Gull, 2 Black Swan, 2 Blue Tit, 5 Buzzard, 3 Collared Dove, 91 Canada Geese, 3 Carrion Crow, 2 Chaffinch, 19 Cormorant, 256 Curlew, 2 Dunnock, 39 Great Black Backed Gull, 2 Greenfinch, 9 Greenshank, 4 Grey Heron, 4 Grey Wagtail, 157 Herring Gull, 12 House Sparrow, 13 Jackdaw, 3 Lapwing, 31 Little Egret, 2 Little Grebe, 3 Kingfisher, 6 Magpie, 47 Mallard, 1 Mediterranean Gull, 29 Mute Swan, 143 Oystercatcher, 3 Peregrine Falcon (1 with kill), 3 Pied Wagtail, 2 Raven, 3 Red Legged Partridge, 147 Redshank, 1 Ring Plover, 2 Robin, 2 Rook, 1 Sparrow Hawk, 1 Spotted Redshank, 14 Starling, 1 Swallow, 8 Wigeon and 8 Wood Pigeon.

Waders on the rocks at Trebetherick Point this morning included, 1 Curlew Sandpiper, 64 Dunlin, 23 Ringed Plover, 19 Ostercatcher, 1 Turnstone, 8 Sanderling, 5 Knot and 2 Curlew, plus 5 Northern Wheatear, 1 ad Mediterranean Gull, 1 ad Common Tern, 1 juv Sandwich Tern, 1 Lapland Bunting and 8 Rock Pipit near the Point.

This evening on the estuary between Wadebridge and Tregunna the following were present;
2 Cormorant, 11 Little Egret, 3 Heron, 46 Mute Swan, 2 Black Swan, 1 Feral Goose, 8 Wigeon, 6 Mallard, 10 Oystercatcher, 1 Ringed Plover, 14 Dunlin, 12 Black-tailed Godwit, 55 Bar-tailed Godwit, 409 Curlew, 7 Whimbrel, 1 Spotted Redshank, 142 Redshank, 7 Greenshank, 3 Common Sandpiper, 3 Buzzard, 2 Peregrine, 1 Mediterranean Gull, 604 Black-headed Gull, 1 White Wagtail, 1 Rock Pipit, 7 Siskin over and 77 Carrion Crow.

The Bar-taileds are a nice addition to the count Derek. Where were they hanging out?
Adrian.
This evening on the estuary between Wadebridge and Tregunna the following were present;
2 Cormorant, 11 Little Egret, 3 Heron, 46 Mute Swan, 2 Black Swan, 1 Feral Goose, 8 Wigeon, 6 Mallard, 10 Oystercatcher, 1 Ringed Plover, 14 Dunlin, 12 Black-tailed Godwit, 55 Bar-tailed Godwit, 409 Curlew, 7 Whimbrel, 1 Spotted Redshank, 142 Redshank, 7 Greenshank, 3 Common Sandpiper, 3 Buzzard, 2 Peregrine, 1 Mediterranean Gull, 604 Black-headed Gull, 1 White Wagtail, 1 Rock Pipit, 7 Siskin over and 77 Carrion Crow.

The Bar-taileds are a nice addition to the count Derek. Where were they hanging out?
Adrian.

The main roost during this weeks tides has been a field behind the Camel Trail just past the second cutting from Wadebridge. This evening the majority of both the Curlew and the Bar-tails roosted here, totalling 396 and 42 respectively.

Amble Marshes this morning; birds included 1 Curlew Sandpiper (photo) 60+ Common Snipe with at least 2 'faeroensis types, 12 Northern Lapwing, 22 Greenshank including the Ythan Estuary colour ringed individual, 2 Eurasian Wigeon (photo) and 40+ Eurasian Teal.

Attachments

• IMG_8569.JPG
    IMG_8569.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8603.jpg
    IMG_8603.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8633.JPG
    IMG_8633.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8685.JPG
    IMG_8685.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 33
3 Curlew Sandpiper at Amble Marshes this morning, plus 11 Black-Tailed Godwit, 12 Greenshank including colour ringed Ythan Estuary bird, 2 Dunlin,10 Common Snipe and 20+ Eurasian Teal.

Attachments

• IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8780.jpg
    IMG_8780.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 36
Semipalmated Sandpiper still at Davidstow Airfield this afternoon (photo) plus 1 Little Stint, 6 Ringed Plover, 4 Dunlin, 3 Northern Wheatear, 1 Common Snipe and 8 Lesser Black-Backed Gull. A presumed escaped Falcon, small Peregrine/Lugger type with transmitter attached to leg over main runway and old buildings.

Attachments

• IMG_8907.JPG
    IMG_8907.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 47
Ploughing the field behind the Burniere Hide this morning produced 400+ Black-Headed and 29 Mediterranean Gulls, 3 Golden Plover and 30+ Skylark. At Dinham Flats 15 Black-Tailed and 50+ Bar-Tailed Godwit, 4 Whimbrel and 200+ Curlew.

Davidstow Airfield this morning; birds included Semipalmated Sandpiper still, 2 Dotterel accidentally flushed from eastern end of runway, then flew towards Crowdy Res, 1 Golden Plover, 3 Ringed Plover, 5 Northern Wheatear and a possible Pied Wheatear! briefly near the main runway (photo)

Attachments

• IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9018.JPG
    IMG_9018.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 51
The Wednesday Bird Walk Group noted the following;
28 Bar-tailed Godwit, 325 Black-headed Gull, 2 Black Swan, 91 Canada Goose, 19 Cormorant, 256 Curlew, 39 Great Black-backed Gull, 9 Greenshank, 4 Grey Heron, 4 Grey Wagtail, 157 Herring Gull, 3 Lapwing, 31 Little Egret, 2 Little Grebe, 3 Kingfisher, 47 Mallard, 1 Mediterranean Gull, 29 Mute Swan, 143 Oystercatcher, 3 Peregrine 2 Raven, 147 Redshank, 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Spotted Redshank and 8 Wigeon

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back