• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Along Egloshayle Road this morning a Red-legged Partridge was present. It appears that at this time of the year this species becomes a fairly common garden bird in Wadebridge.

Rumps Point this morning, birds past included 8 Great Skua (photo) 32 Arctic Skua, 4 Pomarine Skua (photo) 6 Common Scoter, 20+ Manx Shearwater, 21 Arctic Tern and 400+ Auk sp. 2 Snow Bunting on The Rumps (photo best I could manage in the wind)
One Snow Bunting on Davidstow Airfield this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_9204.JPG
    IMG_9204.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9164.JPG
    IMG_9164.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9163.JPG
    IMG_9163.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9053.JPG
    IMG_9053.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 61
I was also at Rumps Point for a couple of hours today, shame I didn't see you Qingcol; I could've used your expertise.

Saw a couple of Skuas which I think were a Great Skua and a Pomarine Skua but I'd be grateful for confirmation; photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/

Also saw several Shearwaters, one of which was closer in and appeared not so clean underneath as a Manx, indeed it was pretty dirty I would say. I was wondering whether a Balearic was likely?

Lots of Gannets, Auks, several Kittiwakes, 1 Fulmar, 2 Peregrine, 2 Grey Seals and an Ocean Sunfish.

All the best, Edward.

I was also at Rumps Point for a couple of hours today, shame I didn't see you Qingcol; I could've used your expertise.

Saw a couple of Skuas which I think were a Great Skua and a Pomarine Skua but I'd be grateful for confirmation; photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardimber/

Also saw several Shearwaters, one of which was closer in and appeared not so clean underneath as a Manx, indeed it was pretty dirty I would say. I was wondering whether a Balearic was likely?

Lots of Gannets, Auks, several Kittiwakes, 1 Fulmar, 2 Peregrine, 2 Grey Seals and an Ocean Sunfish.

All the best, Edward.
Hi Edward, Two great shots of adult Pomarine skua and a Great Skua! Yes Balearic Shearwater is very likely. Looking at your great images I think you must have been there later than me, I didn't see any sun!
Colin

Thanks so much Colin, both for the compliments and the ID confirmation, I really appreciate it. Shame you didn't get to see the sun. I did get quite a bit of rain as well though.

I enjoyed it so much up The Rumps this morning that I went back again this afternoon for a little while. It was even more productive with 10 Common Scoters, 3 Arctic Skuas at least 2 Great Skuas, 20 or so Manx Shearwater and at least one other Balearic.

There were also several Terns but I was unable to confirm what they were but either Common or Arctic.

All the best guys, Edward.

Davidstow Airfield this morning; birds included Semipalmated Sandpiper still, 2 Dotterel accidentally flushed from eastern end of runway, then flew towards Crowdy Res, 1 Golden Plover, 3 Ringed Plover, 5 Northern Wheatear and a possible Pied Wheatear! briefly near the main runway (photo)

No sign of the odd Wheatear this morning at Davidstow Airfield; The long tibia look is probably down to the bird settling in a pool briefly and soaking it’s under belly but I would say that the remaining plumage is dry. A dull earthy-brown above with no warm buff or grey, dusky, streaked darker throat, orange-buff upper breast flaring over carpal, lower breast down to under-tail buff with under-tail off white, upper tail pattern similar to Northern but with untidy white edges, in flight the under wing appeared very light in colour, bill all black with no sign of any gape.

Attachments

• IMG_8966.JPG
    IMG_8966.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8965.JPG
    IMG_8965.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8971.jpg
    IMG_8971.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 71
Rumps Point early morning birds past included 1 Great-Northern Diver, 4 Common Scoter and 8 Great Skua.
A Wryneck in a Bodmin garden this morning.

A Cetti's Warbler at Amble Marshes this morning from the small hide (the first for me at this site!) plus 5 Yellowhammer, 6 Pied Wagtail, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Grey Wagtail, 20+ Meadow Pipit, 14 Black-Tailed Godwit, 4 Greenshank, 1 Common Snipe, 1 Water Rail, 15 Northern Lapwing, 8 Curlew, 40+ Eurasian Teal, 14 Stock Pigeon and 1 Red Fox.

Attachments

• IMG_9436.JPG
    IMG_9436.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 37
The Ythan Estuary colour ringed Greenshank was at Pinkson Creek yesterday afternoon, plus juv Arctic Tern, 2 Sandwich Tern, 5 Gannet and 30+ Mediterranean Gull in the outer Estuary.

Unringed Great Egret this morning at Amble Marshes (photo) plus Merlin, 60+ Common Snipe, 100+ Skylark, 100+ Barn Swallow and 80+ Meadow Pipit.

Attachments

• IMG_9522.JPG
    IMG_9522.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 141
The Great Egret still first thing this morning at Amble Marshes, plus 1 Bar-Tailed Godwit (photo) 16 Black-Tailed Godwit, 11 Greenshank including the Ythan Estuary colour ringed individual, 1 Common Redshank, 20 Northern Lapwing, 10 Curlew, 3 Buzzard and 12 Common Snipe (including 2 ‘faeroensis’ type, extremely rich orange-buff head, breast and flanks). I suppose it would be a good idea to query which sub-species of the Great Egret we have at Amble! Ardea alba alba (Europe) most likely or Ardea alba egretta (Americas) possible but highly unlikely. The tibia of the Amble bird appears to be very dark but so do many European non-breeding (plus the African race), the bill is not especially orange, I’m not aware of any other reliable plumage differences to look for, the Amble bird is showing some active primary moult and the loral area is green so I presume it’s an adult?

Attachments

• IMG_9503.jpg
    IMG_9503.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9550.JPG
    IMG_9550.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 42
To anyone considering The forthcoming ‘CBWPS Sea-Watch’ at Rumps Point, Saturday 15th October should be advised that at the moment the forecasted wind strength and direction is regarded as useless! for sea-watching at this location. If anyone would like to walk around the headland looking for resident and migrant birds as an alternative or if there is an unexpected change in the weather please be at the Farm car park 07:00 as posted.
Colin

The Wednesday Bird Walk Group noted 50 species this morning between Wadebridge and Camel Quarry including;
19 Bar-tailed Godwit, 257 Black-headed Gull, 24 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Black Swan, 2 Buzzard, 4 Canada Goose, 57 carrion Crow, 2 Common Sandpiper, 3 Snipe, 9 Cormorant, 124 Curlew, 15 Golden Plover, 67 Great Black-backed Gull, 3 Heron, 158 Herring Gull, 3 Lapwing, 11 Little Egret, 3 Little Grebe, 42 Mallard, 37 Mediterranean Gull, 2 Moorhen, 33 Mute Swan, 83 Oystercatcher, 1 Peregrine, 21 Pied Wagtail, 10 Red-legged Partridge, 64 Redshank, 1 Spotted Redshank, 21 Wigeon

Last edited:
Birding in Cornwall – Past, Present and Future

A joint BTO/CBWPS conference, “Birding in Cornwall – Past, Present and Future”, will be held at Bedruthan Steps Hotel, Mawgan Porth, TR8 4BU on 29th October 2011 and will have the exciting addition of an optional dinner, celebrating 80 years of CBWPS and featuring Nick Baker as the after dinner speaker.

Book now for either or both events by clicking here, where you will find booking forms and details of the conference programme. Bookings are on a first come, first served basis so act now or you may be disappointed as places are limited!

http://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/u182/booking_forms/bto.cbwps_cornwall_10.2011.pdf

Last edited:
Great Egret still at Amble Marshes today (photos) plus 8 Common Snipe including 1 'faeroensis' type, 4 Greenshank, 1 drake Gadwall, 15 Eurasian Teal and 20 Black-Tailed Godwit.
(8+ male Migrant Hawker Dragonflies)

Attachments

• IMG_9713.JPG
    IMG_9713.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9711.JPG
    IMG_9711.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Royal Cornwall Showground, Wadebridge this morning 12 Mediterranean Gull, 150+ Black-Headed Gull, 2 Ringed Plover and 3 Redwing.
Dinham Flats this morning, 8 Mediterranean Gull, 500+ Golden Plover, 2 Black-Tailed Godwit, 2 Black Swan.
Wadebridge, 1 Spotted Redshank (photo) and 43 Common Redshank.

Attachments

• IMG_9780.JPG
    IMG_9780.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 49
The CBWPS Field Meeting at Rumps Point this morning; birds included 23+ Snow Bunting, 1 Lapland Bunting, 8 Corn Bunting, 12 Northern Wheatear, 100+ Meadow Pipit, 80+ Goldfinch, 250+ Linnet, 80+ Skylark, 3 Barn Swallow and 5 Grey Heron over south.
(Butterflies included many Red Admiral, 2 Large White and 1 Clouded Yellow)

Attachments

• IMG_9909.JPG
    IMG_9909.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9924.JPG
    IMG_9924.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9969.JPG
    IMG_9969.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The Ythan Estuary colour ringed Greenshank at Amble Marshes this morning, with 15 Greenshank, 19 Black-Tailed Godwit, 6 Common Snipe, 88 Eurasian Teal, 10 Skylark, 60+ Meadow Pipit, 100+ Starling, 1 Stonechat and 4 Barn Swallow.

Still 11 Snow Bunting at Rumps Point this morning, 7 in the large field with the day-mark and 4 on the coast path, at the end of the left hand path from the farm.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back