• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (2 Viewers)

Juv Corn Bunting.

At Crugmeer this afternoon, at least 5 Corn Bunting present including some juveniles, one of the juveniles had joined the large flock of House Sparrow well away from the other Buntings, first impressions of this bird perched among the Sparrows was initially of something other than Corn Bunting! but there was no getting over the bill shape and size, it showed a well defined pale median crown-stripe! no dark lateral throat stripes, no white eye-ring, it did show a dark eye-line and mustache stripe separated and strongest at the rear. to me an interesting bird and definitely not the typical phenotype you normally see illustrated in field guides.

Attachments

• IMG_4773.JPG
    IMG_4773.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4762.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Amble Marshes this morning, birds included 10 Greenshank (Including Ythan Estuary colour ringed individual) 6 Common Redshank, 1 Lapwing, 2 Common Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin and at least 11 Sedge Warbler made up of mixed ages.

This afternoon at Polmorla 3 Mediterranean Gull (adult + 2 1st summer) with 300+ Black-headed Gull (most in heavy moult) hawking over freshly cut grass, plus 5 Common Buzzard, 2 Sparrow Hawk and 4 Common Swift. A Little Owl was heard calling in bad weather in the same area, early evening last evening, this evening the area will be checked again at the same time.

Last edited:
Yesterday around the estuary;

64 Mediterranean Gull at Old Town Cove and 39 off Padstow.

Increase in Oystercatcher numbers this evening with 132 at Old Town Cove and 25 off Padstow.

5 Green Sandpiper at Clapper Marshes.

Full counts can be found at the Camel Estuary Birds Website.

No sign or sound of Little Owl last evening or early this morning around Polmorla, though at least 3 Tawny Owl plus many Pipistrelle Bats.
The Light trap at Wadebridge contained 250+ Moths this morning, including 40+ Rosy Footman, all this very intense colour (photo) with only one paler (photo with flower) plus 2 male Four-spotted Footman (photo)

Attachments

• IMG_3092.JPG
    IMG_3092.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3095.JPG
    IMG_3095.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3099.JPG
    IMG_3099.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 97
Amble Marshes this evening, birds included 9 Green Sandpiper, 53 Common Snipe, 1 Lapwing, 3 Eurasian Teal, 6 Gadwall (including adult male) 60+ Goldfinches (photo of pair) 6+ Sedge Warbler, 50+ Barn Swallow and a Sparrow Hawk.
I was disappointed last evening to witness yet another dog running around the reserve! On this occasion it definitely was not the usual culprits! though still a local retriever (gun dog) Watched by its proud owner from the reserve boundary, it thankfully only remained long enough to flush all of the Ducks out only once, then bizarrely it appeared to be chased out of the reserve by the grazing cattle! I had called out “politely” to the owner, who just looked at me with that predictable look that said ‘my dog can go anywhere it wants in the countryside! anyway what’s all the fuss about its only a few ducks’!! Sadly this appears to be the attitude of the majority in these parts, and yet it’s noticeable how many are all too willing to climb aboard the preservation band wagon when it suits.

Attachments

• IMG_5037.JPG
    IMG_5037.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Great-spotted Woodpecker along the electricity poles on busy Glen Road this evening (photo) 6 Common Swift over Coronation Park with two showing signs of wing moult?
I think this Moth in Wadebridge this morning is Garden Rose Tortrix (Acleris variecana)?

Attachments

• IMG_5197.JPG
    IMG_5197.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5090.JPG
    IMG_5090.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 113
Amble Marshes this evening, birds included 1 juv Little Plover, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Lapwing, 21 Common Snipe, 10 Eurasian Teal, 5 Gadwall, 4 Sand Martin and 150+ Barn Swallow.

Wossa Little Plover Col? ;);)
Sorry Jon! Just tired at the time, It’s just an idiosyncrasy of ‘Mapmate’ a recording system that I use a lot.For Little Ringed Plover read (Little Plover Charadrius dubius) Common Scoter (Black Scoter Melanitta nigra) Stock Dove (Stock Pigeon Columba oenas) and so on.
Colin
Some rare good news for ‘birds’ today from the Mail Online; a new glass ‘High-tech Ornilux’ has been introduced into the UK it has the potential to prevent millions of bird deaths. The glass has a web applied that reflects ultraviolet light, invisible to humans.

Last edited:
Amble Marshes this afternoon, birds included 16 Eurasian Teal, 3 Northern Shoveler, 5 Gadwall, 3 Green Sandpiper, at least 4 Sedge Warbler and 4 Common Swift.

Amble Marshes last evening (just before the heavy rain set in) birds included 7 Green Sandpiper, 18 Common Snipe, 1 Lapwing, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Water Rail, 6 Gadwall, 16 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 1 Sparrow Hawk, 1 very plump Sedge Warbler, 2 Sand Martin and 80+ Goldfinch.

Amble Marshes this morning, birds included Common Swift (difficult to work out if they were the same birds) 11+ most of the morning, 1 Hobby, 9 Green Sandpiper, 8 Black-tailed Godwit, 10 Snipe, 1 Lapwing, 4 Shoveler (including 1 juv) 4 Gadwall, 18 Teal including at least 3 juv, 5 Stock Dove and 1 Sedge Warbler.

Treraven Bird hide damage

A note to all users of the Treraven bird hide on the Camel trail.

I was called at 5:30 this evening by a concerned resident on Egloshayle Road who had called the police because vandals were jumping up and down on the roof of the hide. Fresh damage has been done to the wheelchair access section (I can see that from my house).
Someone else had already called the police and they turned up not long later and caught the vandals still on the roof.
No doubt some nasty person took away their smarties when they were younger so I'd imagine they will all be sent on some foreign team building trip so they can build up their muscles to completely destroy it next time.....
me cynical?
Adrian.

A note to all users of the Treraven bird hide on the Camel trail.

I was called at 5:30 this evening by a concerned resident on Egloshayle Road who had called the police because vandals were jumping up and down on the roof of the hide. Fresh damage has been done to the wheelchair access section (I can see that from my house).
Someone else had already called the police and they turned up not long later and caught the vandals still on the roof.
No doubt some nasty person took away their smarties when they were younger so I'd imagine they will all be sent on some foreign team building trip so they can build up their muscles to completely destroy it next time.....
me cynical?
Adrian.

I blame the parents.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back