• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (3 Viewers)

Thanks Derek - I am pretty sure that the first terns I saw were sandwich, diving in from about 20 - 25 feet. There were some others yesterday in the estuary and these seemed to dip in from a lower height so possibly these were common terns. And thanks for the steer re the auks - that's what I thought. Also a disappointing lack of petrels and shearwaters but I think it was too calm so they did not come inshore.

No problems.

You are probably right about the terns, how the bird is feeding does help to identify the species, especially if used with other characters and plumage details.

Shearwaters and petrels are best looked for in a north west or west north west wind when they are pushed into the shore and sometimes in the mouth of the estuary. A recent article on Manx Shearwaters breeding on Lundy shows that they feed just off the mouth of the estuary. In July, whilst carrying out survey work, over 800 were watched feeding here together with a single Sooty Shearwater.

For the latest(ish) sightings from around the estuary please visit the website below,

Best wishes,

Hi Where is Qingcol? hope he is ok.

I’m fine thanks! Not a problem with the computer just no broadband connection at all for three weeks! Still on the positive side I spent many hours on the phone making loads of new friends in India and touch wood it all appears to be running smoothly at the moment.

Welcome back Colin! Good to see you are up and running again. Just wanted to say that those people in India were my friends first!!! Cheers, Will.

Quick look at Treraven this evening, birds incuded black headed gulls flushed off by a sparrowhawk making a kill (was unable to see what it was plucking), 1 moorhen, teal, c6 black tailed godwit, 1 green sandpiper, woodpigeon, crow, canada geese. On the main river, kingfisher, cormorant, little egret, little grebe, grey heron.

Quick look at Treraven this evening, birds incuded black headed gulls flushed off by a sparrowhawk making a kill (was unable to see what it was plucking), 1 moorhen, teal, c6 black tailed godwit, 1 green sandpiper, woodpigeon, crow, canada geese. On the main river, kingfisher, cormorant, little egret, little grebe, grey heron.
All I can add at mid-day Will, 10 Black-tailed Godwit, 49 Teal, 4 Cormorant, 1 adult Peregrine, 2 Curlew and 6+ Siskin, no Pipits and only 1 Pied Wag, still nice to see a Kingfisher back near the hide (photo)

Attachments

• IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 28
Amble Marshes this morning, birds included a few Meadow Pipit and Chaffinch moving, 1 Water Pipit, 1 Grey and 3 pied Wagtail, 39 Black-tailed Godwit, 6 Greenshank, 1 Common Redshank, 10 Northern Lapwing, 2 Golden Plover, 3 Snipe. 12 Curlew, 2 Dunlin, 9 Eurasian Wigeon, 1 Northern Pintail, 30+ Teal, 1 Jay and 1 Barn Swallow.

A colour ringed Black-tailed Godwit at Amble Marshes 16 07 2012 was ringed as a adult female N Iceland.
(Y8-LY) 10 07 2012 Siglufjordur N Iceland.
16 07 2012 Amble Marshes.
10 08 2012 Burton Mere Wetlands, Cheshire, Dee Estuary, NW England.
26 08 2012 " " " " " " .
(A fast mover)

Amble Marshes this morning, birds included 38 Black-tailed Godwit, 16 Greenshank, 14 Common Redshank, 1 Knot, 12 Northern Lapwing, 2 juv Grey Plover, 1 Green Sandpiper, 12 Snipe, 6 Curlew, 1 Water Rail, 1 Northern Pintail, 8 Eurasian Wigeon, 1 Gadwall, 30+ Teal, 2 Jay, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Great-spotted Woodpecker, 1 Common Stonechat, 8+ Meadow Pipit, 1 Common Kestrel and a Grey Wagtail.
Peregrine Falcon killed one of the extemely tired Grey Plover (photo)

Attachments

• IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,410
Amble Marshes this morning, the Ythan Estuary colour ringed Greenshank with 9 other Greenshank, 36 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Bar-tailed Godwit, 1 Knot, 1 Common Redshank, 1 Grey Plover, 1 Little-ringed Plover, 8 Lapwing, 2 Snipe, 10 Dunlin, 8 Wigeon, 1 Pintail, 1 Gadwall, and 2 Water Rail around the high tide.

Padstow end of the Camel Trail this afternoon, birds incuded 22 pale bellied brent geese, 8+ swallows, 15+ med gulls of various ages (one with a silver metal ring but I could not read it), 1 common gull, black headed gulls, herring gull, great black backed gull, bar tailed godwit, greenshank, curlew, raven, heron, little egret, buzzard, cormorant, 1 dunlin, 5 turnstones, oystercatcher.

Kingfisher on the main river at Guineaport this evening. Treraven, c46 teal, 13 mute swans, 1 green sandpiper, common sandpiper calling on the main river, pied wagtail, curlew, and a large number of canada geese.

Really quiet at Amble Marshes this morning, birds included a tricle of moving Barn Swallows, 1 Pintail, 1 Shoveler, 1 Gadwall, 12 Wigeon, 21 Lapwing, 2 Golden Plover, 30+ Curlew, 10+ Snipe, 2 Water Rail, 3 Cormorant, 12 Siskin, 40+ Meadow Pipit, 1 White and 3 Pied Wagtail, 2 Jay, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Kestrel and 1 Peregrine Falcon.

Stubble fields just south of Varley Head (Port Quin) this morning, 2 Lapland Bunting with 300+ Skylark, 100+ Meadow Pipit and 100+ Linnet.

Rumps Point this afternoon, 2, 1st winter Ring-billed Gull past SW (photo) with one Common Gull (1st W) and 10 Black-headed Gull, 3 Brent Geese (hrota)

Attachments

• IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMG_3096.JPG
    IMG_3096.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,528
Treraven meadiws this evening, birds included large numbers of canada geese and teal, 1 moorhen, 1 black tailed gidwit, 1 green sandpiper, 2 curlew, 3 snipe, 1 greylag goose, good numbers of pied wagtail, small flock of goldfinch, black headed gull, mute swan, little egret, marsh tit by the hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back