• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

I’m sorry to have to announce the very sad news of the death last evening, following a long brave battle against cancer, of Mr Les Fletcher of Wadebridge, one half of a well known and respected local bird-watching couple, often seen together on the Camel Trail, Davidstow Airfield and Trevose. Head. At the moment our thoughts are with his wife Dorothy. I’m sure that I speak for all reasonable people in saying that his particular birding style, good humour and obvious dedication to Dorothy will be very much missed in this neck of the woods.

Very sad, he was a fighter to the end and remained cheerful throughout, he will be greatly missed.

It has to be said, that it's a great same that this thread is now hardly ever used by Camelbirder and Quincol, who have regularly shared their sightings. Both watch the Camel and surrounding area almost daily and have turned up many rarities. Both first class birders and it's a shame that through the stupidity of a few, we lose the daily update of what is on the river and coastal area.
I don't know what the problem was that caused the rift, but I can guess. The usual problems that birders possess no doubt.

It has to be said, that it's a great same that this thread is now hardly ever used by Camelbirder and Quincol, who have regularly shared their sightings. Both watch the Camel and surrounding area almost daily and have turned up many rarities. Both first class birders and it's a shame that through the stupidity of a few, we lose the daily update of what is on the river and coastal area.
I don't know what the problem was that caused the rift, but I can guess. The usual problems that birders possess no doubt.

:clap::clap::clap:

Wondered what was going on.

A good day for marine mammals off The Rumps today. Plenty of grey seals, 2+ harbour porpoise and a large pod of Common Dolphins (50+). Also Guillemot, Gannet, Raven, Meadow and Rock Pipit, Kestrel, Buzzard, Peregrine, Stone Chat, Robin, Linnet.

Get the boat back in the water will.... lets get out there!

A good day for marine mammals off The Rumps today. Plenty of grey seals, 2+ harbour porpoise and a large pod of Common Dolphins (50+). Also Guillemot, Gannet, Raven, Meadow and Rock Pipit, Kestrel, Buzzard, Peregrine, Stone Chat, Robin, Linnet.

Not sure if anyone stills visits this site or not? Nice pair of Goosanders at Guineaport today. Video here.
I haven`t been out much lately - too much work!!! Will still post sightings here for now when I have anything to report. Cheers, Will.

Hi very nice video, I still look on here most days since I was Lastcornishman, had to change user name because I was unable to log in, not sure what happened, but had to start all over again.cheers. Len.

Not sure if anyone stills visits this site or not? Nice pair of Goosanders at Guineaport today. Video here.
I haven`t been out much lately - too much work!!! Will still post sightings here for now when I have anything to report. Cheers, Will.

Nice vid Will. Yes I still look at this site whilst some of the others appear to have migrated to Facebook and Twitter.
I'll check later to see if they're still around. Looks near Anneka bridge?

A drake Red-breasted Merganser at Guineaport this morning, plus female Goosander.

Attachments

• IMG_8099.JPG
    IMG_8099.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
I won`t say too much about the weather today, but I managed to do some filming from the garage (!!) of some of the birds at Guineaport today. This Male Red Breasted Merganser was there briefly, and was together with a male Goosander too. Other birds included a female Goosander, Lapwing, Kingfisher. I think it must be fairly unusual to see both a male Red Breasted Merganser and Goosander together? Cheers, Will. PS sorry I did not reply to your message Adrian - yes by the bridge!! Good to know this site is still in use. Pity I can`t get out more (its a work thing). Thanks for your comments too morganman.
Slavonian Grebe at Padstow yesterday.

Last edited:
The wintering Whooper Swan at Dinham Flats this morning, plus 9 Goosander, 4,000+ Golden Plover, 26 Bar-tailed Godwit (image of 18 in flight) and a Cormorant with Flounder.

Attachments

• IMG_8741.JPG
    IMG_8741.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8474.JPG
    IMG_8474.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8547.JPG
    IMG_8547.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8650.JPG
    IMG_8650.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 36
Treraven today

Seen close to the hide this afternoon was this little fella, while on the"lake"was a Med gull with the Black headed gulls.Cheers Len.

Attachments

• DSCF8318.JPG
    DSCF8318.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 62
Siskin and Dennis cove

Hi, thought it was, it was with the flock of Goldfinch's.Also seen at Dennis cove this afternoon were three what I guess were Chiffchaffs, not very good photo here

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_063536.jpg
    IMG_20140204_063536.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20140204_063406.jpg
    IMG_20140204_063406.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 28
Talk: Camel Valley Wetland Restoration

Wednesday 19th February 2014 Time: 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Environment Agency Officer and local resident, James Burke, is coming to speak about a fantastic project which has been restoring one of Cornwall’s most important sites for wetland birds – the Camel Valley.
Meet: Tubestation in Polzeath.
Cost: Free for PMCG members, £2 for all others
Booking not essential.
Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.

Wednesday 19th February 2014 Time: 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Environment Agency Officer and local resident, James Burke, is coming to speak about a fantastic project which has been restoring one of Cornwall’s most important sites for wetland birds – the Camel Valley.
Meet: Tubestation in Polzeath.
Cost: Free for PMCG members, £2 for all others
Booking not essential.
Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.

Excellent news, I'd love to hear what James has proposed. Can someone post info on the thread. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back