• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera Bag (1 Viewer)

Gronk08

Hi All

I am after a new camera kit bag as I have out grown my current one.
Ideally I am looking for a bag to hold my Canon 40D with kit lens attached and my Sigma 50-500 lens plus a few other lenes nothing to big though just a simple 100-300 zoom and a pair of compact binos.

Not looking to spend too much as the wife would kill me ideally under £100.

The make is not too important although I want it to be able to take a bit of bashing and not fall apart on me after a couple of years use.

Tim.

I'll throw the Mini-trekker AW II in the mix. You can carry a tripod on this bag as well as all your gear inside. Love mine.

Thanks all for the top tips will read up on a few reviews heard of lowpro but the others are new to me, will have to see which one comes out on top.

The bag on Amazon Sparrowbirder looks like a great deal.

Tim.

Personally, I think selecting a camera/birding bag needs as much care as selecting camera/lens/bins/scope - albeit typically cheaper.Take all your kit to a suitable retailer
and try them out, in relation to your budget. Obviously LowePro and Kata produce lots of good stuff along with other makes; its easy to buy something NOT fit-for-purpose.
Good luck.
Russ

Sorry, I should have said my Kata takes a Canon 500F4(body off hood reversed), 40D body, converter and either canon 100-400 or Zeiss 7X42 or beanbag.Plus notebook, pens, CF cards, spare batteries. With only one lens lunch goes too!! Has a (garish) waterproof cover. Only weak points are not enough lumbar-padding for a long walk.
Russ

Those Kata bags look good value, although I have just gone and bought one of those Gem bags, at just over £30 on Amazon if its no good I can always just use it for storgae at home, as even at home my kit is stored across two different bags.

Cheers for all of the tips, would have loved to get a lowpro but I just couldn't justify the cost to the wife.

Tim.

Well the Gem bag turned up on Friday, looks like quite a decent bag, Ok the internal padding could be better seperating the lenses but I've seen worse and for just over £30 you can't expect too much. All my gear fits in as well so I am quite pleased.

Tim.

This is going to be a strange comment but has anyone ever used a Gun Dog Dummy bag as a camera holdall. It has sectioned bits for the dummies and would fit cameras and lenses, especially at an amateur level. It also looks very comfortable

This is going to be a strange comment but has anyone ever used a Gun Dog Dummy bag as a camera holdall. It has sectioned bits for the dummies and would fit cameras and lenses, especially at an amateur level. It also looks very comfortable

Hi Bob

Had a quick look and can't see that they are that well padded. Would be Ok if you new you weren't going to get your lenses banged around at all.
I have on the odd occasion used a record bag with my SLR and a single lens in pouch in before not ideal but saved carrying everything around.
You could always try a lap top bag as they are padded and are in the same style if you don't want a traditional style camera bag.

Tim.

You may wish to consider the Flipside 400. I purchased one recently and I am happy with it.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400 AW,2116.htm

Tim, I agree with Adrian on this one. I have four camera bags (one M-Rock, one Tamrac, two Lowepro), and the Flipside 400 is the medium sized bag I use when carrying lenses similar to your own. It's tough, well built, and it's fantastic for travel because it will fit below the seat in an airplane as well as keep the main compartment safely to your back when hiking.

I traveled to Alaska this past spring and the bag held my 20D, 1D, 150-500, 10-24mm, 50 1.8, spare batteries, battery chargers and 20x CF cards with aplomb. There was even enough room for a medium sized gorilla pod in the side pocket. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
+1 for the Flipside 400. Spent a month in the French Alps this year, walking everyday (well, nearly!) using the 400 as my daypack. Carried 60D, 400D, 400L 5.6, EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 plus walking gear and monopod. Great carry, easy to access equipment, and the AW cover kept it dry in a couple of major downpours.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back