• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera Bags (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

I currently have a Lowepro 400AW, fantastic in some ways and not so in others.

Fantastic- Light, rugged and I really like the access via the back. After sales service is fantastic as one of the buckles is too small and prone to breaking.

Not so - It's billed as an outdoors bag so where is the separate compartment for my waterproofs? There is a separate compartment which looks like a glorified school bag and has been no use whatsoever for since I bought it, I don't need pens, paper etc etc. My bag is now coming to an end because I have overfilled this pouch and bust the zip.

What I want is a fairly lightweight bag, no fussy bits, a compartment to store a camera with 100-400 lens, travel scope and binoculars, a separate compartment to store everything else I may need for the day and I would prefer the rear access to my camera compartment.

Can anyone suggest a bag that would be suitable? I really like Lowepro but think their design team need a good talking to and they have ignored my emails to that effect? Thanks.

Are you looking for a "carry with you while photographing" bag? I've never been big on those, neither has my girlfriend. Prefer to have a good harness (like BlackRapid, as one example) and then belt pouches or pockets to carry everything else.

The backpack is just for snacks and rarely used gear, plus a water bladder like CamelBak and doesn't come off much.

If you looking for a "trunk bag" or "at home storage bag" I recommend getting a duffel bag you like, then buy drop-in inserts, or pick-foam, and customizing the duffel. I do this to grab all my gear, but unload it and leave it in the trunk once we reach a location.

Maybe a bit more about your bag-using habits would be helpful?

I have to say I have the same complaint with current camera bags. My first, acquired ten or so years ago, was a Lowepro that in additional to the main compartment had a loose fitting front pocket that will take a jumper, or lunchbox and drink plus more. By the time it needed replacing, the vogue seemed to have switched to tight fronts that only allow for thin things. Every pocket must be sleek so as not to ruin the lines. Many bags could be improved with a zip that opens to allow an expansion flap to open.

Currently my 'out at the weekend' bag is a Lowepro Lens Trekker 600AW. It's great for it's main job (carrying a mounted 500mm ready to shoot quickly) but they were so tight the only pocket barely fits a 1.4 extender (and the main compartment is just a tube, so you can't carry extra lenses in it!)

Are you looking for a "carry with you while photographing" bag? I've never been big on those, neither has my girlfriend. Prefer to have a good harness (like BlackRapid, as one example) and then belt pouches or pockets to carry everything else.

The backpack is just for snacks and rarely used gear, plus a water bladder like CamelBak and doesn't come off much.

If you looking for a "trunk bag" or "at home storage bag" I recommend getting a duffel bag you like, then buy drop-in inserts, or pick-foam, and customizing the duffel. I do this to grab all my gear, but unload it and leave it in the trunk once we reach a location.

Maybe a bit more about your bag-using habits would be helpful?

I have my bag on most of the time, I might store camera and scope in the bag and and a tripod on the outside if I am walking the dog (just in case) or I might want to carry scope and camera with an empty bag acting as a belt and harness. The bag has Molle loops so I have a couple of small pouches for things I need to hand. I just need something far more simple than I have so far found.

This illustrates how stupid the manufacturers are being. Lowepro have a flipside trek range for a day out with nature, sounds great but the largest bag takes a camera plus 200mm lens and they all have fittings for tablet computers! I want a bag with two compartments, one large enough to take a DSLR plus 100-400 with extender (and larger sizes needed) and scope and the other to take my waterproofs. Anything extra can be added with Molle pouches.

Looks like it's a brand new range, can't imagine which wildlife photographers have advised them. http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/0...-geared-for-trail-shoots-flipside-trek/70807/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KEpTy9xyBE

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back