• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera Upgrade Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Jake K

Hello All!

I’m looking to upgrade from my old Rebel T4i and am hoping to gather a few suggested cameras to research. I like to take pics of birds, both in-flight and sitting still, as well as wildlife in general. I’ve read much about the 7D MKII and the 5D MKIV. Are there any thoughts as to which may be the better option to fit my needs? I’m also open to looking at other options the members of this group may think would be a better choice.

Thank you for your input!

Jake

The Camera itself would be only half the solution, the other half would be what glass you would be wanting to put on the end of it. 7D II seems to be popular but most users would have half decent glass, such as Canon 100-400mm mkII lens or one of the better 3rd party lenses. It may also come down to what you are willing to spend on your upgrade

Last edited:
If you must go Canon then the 32.5MP 10fps 90D has just been announced today https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares
In terms of glass try:
Canon 100-400 f4.5-f5.6L IS II with and without the 1.4xTC III
Tamron G2 150-600 f5-f6.3
Sigma S 60-600 f5-f6.3
Canon 300 f2.8L IS II with 2xTC III
Canon DO 400 f4 IS II with and without 1.4xTC III and even 2xTC III
Canon 600 f4L IS III with and without 1.4xTC III and even 2xTC III

If you are free to switch systems then the Nikon D500 and PF 500 f5.6 is probably the pick at the moment.

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back