• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anybody age this Wheatear? (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Most importantly, what is it that lends towards ageing this bird?

When I was taking the pictures, I had assumed this was a young bird. Upon getting home and having a look 'round the internet I'm now not so sure.

What didn't help matters is that there were a good few of them scurrying around and they seemed to be in different stages of development, with a female quite possibly moulting and that female looked noticeably larger than the bird in this photograph.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• Wheatear Junior.jpg
    Wheatear Junior.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 62
Hello Paul,

assuming you took the picture recently, its an adult female.
Your bird carries an insect in its bill. Yes ..., but its very much easier to photograph an adult that feed its young (no offense)
(fresh plumaged) juvenile Wheatear is a different coloured bird with
  • black-centered wing coverts with warm brown fringes and in many a pale wing bar on the greater coverts
  • juvenile thrush spotting on the breast in variable extent. Your bird has none at all

Hello Paul,

assuming you took the picture recently, its an adult female.
Your bird carries an insect in its bill. Yes ..., but its very much easier to photograph an adult that feed its young (no offense)
(fresh plumaged) juvenile Wheatear is a different coloured bird with
  • black-centered wing coverts with warm brown fringes and in many a pale wing bar on the greater coverts
  • juvenile thrush spotting on the breast in variable extent. Your bird has none at all

Thanks Alexander.

I'm pretty confident this bird wasn't feeding its young. As I say, there were quite a few Wheatear in a short space of distance and none of them looked to be juveniles and they all appeared to be fending for themselves. Wheatear are actually very easy birds to photograph, providing you're lying down and wait for them to come closer. This bird wasn't flying off anywhere to feed any young, it was occupying a bank and not moving very far at all.

What I'm most interested in, is this bird noticeably a first summer Wheatear?

And, yes the picture was taken over the last couple of days.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back