• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help with these please. The Spurn, North East England (1 Viewer)

Smithy1000

Ive had a go. Thanks

1. Female Kestrel
2.Meadow Pipit
3.Greenshank and Redshank
4?
5.Common Tern
6.Sandwich Tern?
7.Grey Plover
8.Ringed Plover?
9.Golden Plover
10. Dunlin
11.?
12.Mainly Red Knot, The white ones Sanderling? One Golden Plover and a few Ringed plover?

Attachments

• 087 (2).jpg
    087 (2).jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 358 (2).jpg
    358 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • 411 (2).jpg
    411 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 529 (2).jpg
    529 (2).jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 640 (2).jpg
    640 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 895 (2).jpg
    895 (2).jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1239 (2).jpg
    1239 (2).jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 1358 (2).jpg
    1358 (2).jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 1406 (2).jpg
    1406 (2).jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 1438 (2).jpg
    1438 (2).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 1479 (2).jpg
    1479 (2).jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 1173 (4).jpg
    1173 (4).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
6 is probably Sandwich Tern but without a yellow tip?
4 is possibly a pipit with that markings
5 Common Tern (atleast some if not all)
8 Common Ringed Plover?
7 does look like Grey rather than Golden. Don't know if any other similar species co-occur.

Think you and Vyomkesh are almost all correct...4. also meadow pipit; 11 red knot (great knot very rare in W Europe); 12 flock mostly dunlin, with ringed plover and sanderling as you said, and a few red knot...however I get the impression the large part of the flock at the back which aren't in focus are probably also knot.

Ive had a go. Thanks

1. Female Kestrel
2.Meadow Pipit
3.Greenshank and Redshank
4?
5.Common Tern
6.Sandwich Tern?
7.Grey Plover
8.Ringed Plover?
9.Golden Plover
10. Dunlin
11.?
12.Mainly Red Knot, The white ones Sanderling? One Golden Plover and a few Ringed plover?
4 meadow pipit (see bill: kinda doing a reed bunting impression otherwise)
6 yes
11 red knot
12 mainly dunlin (small, curved long, thin bills, often blackish breast), + a few of the other species you mention

Hello,
your last picture also has a Turnstone hiding among the others, which is easy seen, once you found it. I hope this is not regarded as an offense: I think that when others are looking at this picture again, more species might well be found. Because there is also one bird, which might well be Curlew Sandpiper (it seems just the slightest hue better for a Curlew SP than for a Dunlin. But I hope fore more pictures or more comments).

I see mostly Dunlin in the last picture, some Knot, Sanderling and Ringed Plover, one Golden Plover near top right, and a very small bird (unless some strange size illusion is going on) just above and to the right of centre that I think must be a Little Stint. I can't see the Turnstone though...

It's rare that a photo of such a big flock of waders in flight is so clear! This could be used for a "spot all the species" competition...

I've found the golden plover now...and I think I see Alexander's turnstone almost completely obscured near the right hand middle part of the picture - but I can't pick out a candidate curlew SP or little stint.
It is a great picture for wader ID!

The bird that looks like LS to me is near the centre, just a bit above and to the right - it's behind a Dunlin and in front of a Knot...

I haven't seen any obvious Curlew Sand candidates but there are a couple of Dunlin types that seem greyer and longer-billed.

Hello,
your last picture also has a Turnstone hiding among the others, which is easy seen, once you found it. I hope this is not regarded as an offense: I think that when others are looking at this picture again, more species might well be found. Because there is also one bird, which might well be Curlew Sandpiper (it seems just the slightest hue better for a Curlew SP than for a Dunlin. But I hope fore more pictures or more comments).
I missed the turnstone (but I'm not surprised). I also wondered about curlew sand: there're one or two which seem a bit bigger, longer billed. I guess i they're probably just big dunlin.

Turnstone in bottom right corner (can only really see breast band, white belly)..?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back