• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone identify this bird please? Kent, UK (1 Viewer)

Juliette47

United Kingdom
This bird came to feed whilst I was in my garden, I can't identify what it is, I am based in Kent in the UK. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210811-183046.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210811-183046.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210810_171536.jpg
    20210810_171536.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20210810_171541.jpg
    20210810_171541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
It's an "escape", not a wild bird. Possibly a species of waxbill, though my quick search couldn't track it down. Someone will probably be along shortly with the answer!

Thanks, I was thinking it couldn't be a wild bird, looks too tropical! Also it didn't seem particularly timid, not sure how well it will survive in the wild!

Hi there Juliette and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

It does look like a Red-billed Quelea, some images here and here. As Strontium Dog says, there are a lot of them! Wiki: "It is regarded as the most numerous undomesticated bird on earth, with the total post-breeding population sometimes peaking at an estimated 1.5 billion individuals. It feeds in huge flocks of millions of individuals, with birds that run out of food at the rear flying over the entire group to a fresh feeding zone at the front, creating an image of a rolling cloud.".

It does look like a Red-billed Quelea, some images here and here. As Strontium Dog says, there are a lot of them! Wiki: "It is regarded as the most numerous undomesticated bird on earth, with the total post-breeding population sometimes peaking at an estimated 1.5 billion individuals. It feeds in huge flocks of millions of individuals, with birds that run out of food at the rear flying over the entire group to a fresh feeding zone at the front, creating an image of a rolling cloud.".
Actually quite a common bird then, but definitely not native to the UK. I was certainly most surprised to see it in my back garden, I would imagine it must have escaped from a local wildlife park.

I think it's a red-billed quelea, which is actually the most numerous wild bird on the planet, although this one escaped from a cage.
Why not a boat?...I can remember many, many years ago Aug/Sep.at Beachy Head, talking to some birders who’d come down to see a Red/Black headed bunting imm/fem type (don’t know if it was ever resolved?). Which was showing occasionally in a crop field.
Whilst there, a Red-billed quelea popped out of cover from time to time and conversation got round to “ship assistance”....both being grain eaters and all that.😮

Cheers

Hi Juliette and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Why not a boat?...I can remember many, many years ago Aug/Sep.at Beachy Head, talking to some birders who’d come down to see a Red/Black headed bunting imm/fem type (don’t know if it was ever resolved?). Which was showing occasionally in a crop field.
Whilst there, a Red-billed quelea popped out of cover from time to time and conversation got round to “ship assistance”....both being grain eaters and all that.😮

I suppose you can't rule out ship assisted passage. But it's such a common captive bird that I do think escape is far more likely.

It seems to have for the moment settled around nearby, as whilst I was at work, my daughter saw it again today happily feeding amongst the starlings, sparrows and blackbirds!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back